PhotoBanter.com

-   Medium Format Photography Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Hasselblad V question hardware/film (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=116760)

[email protected] February 9th 11 09:27 AM

Hasselblad V question hardware/film

Hi all ,

Returning after a 3 year hiatus . I'm slowly building up a 503CW film
camera hoping to also use it as a digital medium format camera.

Is the film still being made ? Who makes it ?

Thanks

Peter
Sydney , Australia

Noons February 9th 11 12:15 PM

wrote,on my timestamp of 9/02/2011 7:27 PM:
Hi all ,

Returning after a 3 year hiatus . I'm slowly building up a 503CW film
camera hoping to also use it as a digital medium format camera.

Is the film still being made ? Who makes it ?

Is the pope catholic? What do you want? Fast, slow, b&w, colour neg or slide?
All available in any combination. Fuji, Ilford, Kodak, are the main ones.
Do a search on ebay for those with "120" attached and a few sellers will pop-up.
Some photography shops stock it: Ted's in Pitt St and Foto Riesel in Kent St.
Vanbar in Camperdown also stock lots of film. All sell online if you want.
For development, Fotolab near the corner of Pitt and Park St do colour neg and
slide. I'd recommend you look at DIY for b&w as it is much, much cheaper that
way. If you really want to get involved, go to
www.apug.org and look up the
Australian group: there are at least two other dealers and developers in East
Sydney that do high quality work as well as a few labs if your inclination is
for optical processing.

K W Hart February 9th 11 08:43 PM

wrote in message
Hi all ,

Returning after a 3 year hiatus . I'm slowly building up a 503CW film
camera hoping to also use it as a digital medium format camera.

Is the film still being made ? Who makes it ?

Thanks

Peter
Sydney , Australia

120 size film is readily available from the major manufacturers. My personal
favorites: for color prints- Kodak Portra 160VC or 400VC, and for b&w
prints- plain old Kodak Tri-X. Others have their favorites; these are just
the ones that I'm used to and are readily available to me.
To paraprase Mark Twain: "The rumours of film's death have been greatly
exagerated!"

Processing is another matter. For b&w, I use Kodak's HC110 developer. It
comes in a thick syrup which gets diluted seriously for use. For color
negatives, Trebla (C-PAC) makes a developer that is designed to make 5
gallons (?), but includes instructions for mixing as little as one liter. In
home developing, the developer is the big problem: the life of the mixed
chemical is fairly short, sometimes hours, sometimes a few weeks, depending
on the brand and type. Home developing color film is not the monster some
people will tell you. Developer temperature is critical- you need an
accurate thermometer. Other than that, it's no different from developing b&w
film.

If you take your color print film to a one-hour minilab, be careful. Many of
the automated processors can handle 120 size film, but if the machine has
only been used for 35mm film, the rollers may have a wear pattern (or gunk
pattern) that is the width of the 35mm film. The machine could deposit gunk
or cause scratches along the sides of your 120 film. Ask the people running
the machines how much 120 film they run through it. Ideally, you want two or
three rolls belonging to someone else to go through the machine before
yours!

Printing the film is not difficult either. Ideally, you should have a
dedicated darkroom, but many people get by with using a bathroom.

--
Ken Hart

Alan Browne February 13th 11 07:03 PM

On 2011.02.09 3:27 , wrote:
Hi all ,

Returning after a 3 year hiatus . I'm slowly building up a 503CW film
camera hoping to also use it as a digital medium format camera.

Is the film still being made ? Who makes it ?

What Hart said. I like both Kodak and Fuji color negatives and slide
films. I'm not a B&W fan - but do shoot it on occasion.

Biggest obstacle at present is getting 120 E-6/C-41 processed. I'm
considering setting up my own chemicals at home, at least for E-6.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.

K W Hart February 18th 11 06:58 PM

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
On 2011.02.09 3:27 , wrote:
Hi all ,

Returning after a 3 year hiatus . I'm slowly building up a 503CW film
camera hoping to also use it as a digital medium format camera.

Is the film still being made ? Who makes it ?

What Hart said. I like both Kodak and Fuji color negatives and slide
films. I'm not a B&W fan - but do shoot it on occasion.

Biggest obstacle at present is getting 120 E-6/C-41 processed. I'm
considering setting up my own chemicals at home, at least for E-6.

I don't shoot much E6, but for C41, I use Trebla chemicals from C-PAC. They
have a C41 developer that is packaged for 5Liters, but it also gives
instructions for mixing 1Liter at a time. A couple 10cc (10mL) syringes are
helpful for measuring. Once the developer is mixed, it has a life of a
couple weeks if kept from air exposure.
The Bleach, Fixer, and Stabilizer lifetimes are several months. I use the
Bleach as a replenished chem; the rest I use one-shot. Cost to develope a
roll of 120 is about a dollar.