PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131293)

Mayayana April 5th 18 03:19 AM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

"Diesel" wrote

| WARNING!
|
| This is a classic David Brooks method of initiating with a future
| stalking victim.

Don't worry about me. I've seen his profound rudeness
in action and no longer read his posts.

David B.[_2_] April 5th 18 10:38 AM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 05/04/2018 01:57, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Wed, 4 Apr 2018 16:59:14 +0100, schrieb David B.:

Btw, the asterisk emboldening doesn't work around *numbers* in
Thunderbird.

Hi David B.
I may owe you a sincere heartfelt public apology.

snip for brevity only - all read and understood

So, kudos to you for being like an adult, and sincere heartfelt
apologies from me for assuming you were just another technically
incompetent Apple baby who could do nothing but silly semantic games.

Mea culpa.
I apologize for not treating you as an adult would.

I accept your apology, Ragnusen.

Thank you. :-)

I've looked here and note that you appear quite active:-

Ragnusen Ultred
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Ra...004&bih=12 15

I'm not a 'techie' but if I *can* help you in any way, just ask.

When I did my apprenticeship computers used thermionic valves (tubes!)
so I do have lots of experience under my belt! ;-)

--
David B.

David B.[_2_] April 5th 18 10:53 AM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 05/04/2018 02:00, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Tue, 3 Apr 2018 19:53:33 -0700, schrieb Alan Baker:

Wow, but you're tedious little twit.

This is a note to David B., which is that *this* post above, from Alan
Baker, is how Apple users react to simple questions.

That's why I had assumed you were a similar child, since I've been on
Usenet for decades, where the Apple user is almost always incapable of
answering even the /simplest/ of questions, and where that Apple user
always responds with hateful vitriol to facts.
It's *always* the Apple poster acting like a child, which is why I was
surprised David B. when you acted like an adult.

My sincere apologies to David B., where he may understand the frustration
that intelligent adults have with the average Apple poster such as Alan
Baker is.

I understand your frustration, Ragnusen.

However, I'm not so sure it has to do with folk using Apple products.

--
David B.

Ragnusen Ultred April 5th 18 03:14 PM

Am Thu, 5 Apr 2018 10:38:50 +0100, schrieb David B.:

I'm not a 'techie' but if I *can* help you in any way, just ask.

When I did my apprenticeship computers used thermionic valves (tubes!)
so I do have lots of experience under my belt! ;-)

Much appreciated to find a fellow sentient adult on these newsgroups!

Most of us were trained in the days of vacuum tubes, and we were taught how
to back up our facts like intelligent adults should.
http://i.cubeupload.com/tWHyBq.jpg

To give you an example of my time frame, here's my iPad and phone next to
one of my random textbooks (I changed fields of study a few times, both
undergrad and grad, back east during the height of the cold war).
http://i.cubeupload.com/nYpKZF.jpg

What's amazingly different, with Apple users overall, is their historic and
repeated incredibly unfathomable lack of attention to technical detail.
http://i.cubeupload.com/3ffdPL.jpg

Like you, I never stop learning, and it's all about detail, where, for
example, here are some of my 'self-help' books in the days of the IBM PC.
http://i.cubeupload.com/TLd0LW.jpg

Here are a set of my more recent tecnical self-help books in engineering.
http://i.cubeupload.com/pJZUtb.jpg

The point is that, on these newsgroups, the average Apple user doesn't seem
to have grown up yet to the point that they can fathom even the /slightest/
amount of technical detail.

For example, the question asked of this thread would *never* have been
answered on this newsgroup simply because the Apple users don't have that
kind of technical knowledge that it takes to step outside of what "Big
Brother" marketing tells them. They can only push buttons.

So it's with great respect that you exist, since I'm so frustrated with
these little Apple children that you can't believe.

The reason I'm frustrated is that I don't know Apple products at all. I
really don't. And yet, when I ask even /simple/ questions of the Apple
posters, they prove time and again that they know even /less/ than I do.

It happens every time.
They're afraid to admit it.
But it happens every time.

It's so frustrating because they lie blatantly about Apple functionality.
They lie more than they tell the truth, in fact.

So it has come to the point that they're worthless since their accuracy
rate is no better than the monkey taking the psychology test.

Since I care about finding the answer, I have to go to the /adult/
newsgroups to find the answer (which is what I did in this case).

I hope you can understand my frustration since I'm in the middle of the
Silicon Valley where most of the people act like adults, and not like most
of the people how post to this newsgroup.

--
Sorry for the rambling but I have to run so I hacked that out without
organizing it so it's how my mind works.

David B.[_2_] April 5th 18 08:29 PM

On 05/04/2018 15:14, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
[...]

Thank you so much for your comprehensive message, Ragnusen.

I've read all with much interest. :-)

Should you be unfamiliar with the *Apple Support Communities* you will
find same he- https://discussions.apple.com/welcome

For an example thread, you can look at one started by me (posting as
HunterBD) he- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8332293

Be sure to look in "Read All Replies" to get an overall picture.

You will probably find answers to your questions if you ask there!

I hope this is helpful.

--
David B.

dorayme[_3_] April 5th 18 11:43 PM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

In article ,
Ragnusen Ultred wrote:

we were taught how
to back up our facts like intelligent adults should.

You say you only speak facts. But do you always back each with more
facts like an adult? But how can this be possible given that there is
an infinite series here and human life is limited? Perhaps adults come
to some bedrock of facts that do not require backing up?

--
dorayme

SMS April 6th 18 01:00 AM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 4/3/2018 11:10 AM, RJH wrote:

snip

I think s/he meant tax *avoidance*. And Apple most certainly does avoid
tax.

As do most companies.

I would argue, quite successfully, that Apple pays nothing like every
tax dollar they should.

"Should?" They have an obligation to their shareholders to pay only what
they legally are required to pay.

RJH April 6th 18 02:40 AM

On 06/04/2018 01:00, sms wrote:
On 4/3/2018 11:10 AM, RJH wrote:

snip

I think s/he meant tax *avoidance*. And Apple most certainly does
avoid tax.

As do most companies.

Indeed.

I would argue, quite successfully, that Apple pays nothing like every
tax dollar they should.

"Should?" They have an obligation to their shareholders to pay only what
they legally are required to pay.

Well, for example, they can sometimes legally set up low tax off-shore
holdings to deal with (say) UK generated profit. They don't have to, and
some would say that's wrong.

If that 'some' is in a position of power that company may end up paying
more than some notionally legal minimum.

--
Cheers, Rob

RJH April 6th 18 03:19 AM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 04/04/2018 16:47, nospam wrote:
In article , RJH wrote:

apple is paying their *legal* tax obligation. period.

Insofar as I understand it, agreed.

then there's absolutely no issue, is there?

Yes, there is. Just because something's legal doesn't make it right.

Some laws are bad, and in the UK (well, the EU) we have anti-avoidance
directives coming up in January - 'to deter profit shifting to a low/no
tax country'. Apple demonstrably does this, and under UK rules it should
be declared as 'tax avoidance' (the return form is called a CT600 and
has a 'Disclosure of tax avoidance schemes' section) so that it can be
mitigated when/if. And good job too.

paying *more* than what they legally owe is stupid.

It may also be consistent with the makeup of the company. Just because
you think it's stupid doesn't make it so.

--
Cheers, Rob

Eric Stevens April 6th 18 03:40 AM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 02:28:28 -0000 (UTC), Lewis
wrote:

In message Mayayana wrote:
"Lewis" wrote

| That is a lie, they pay ever dollar they are required to, just like
| everyone else.

If you want to split hairs, yes. No one's been
arrested. They avoid bringing it into the country
as a way of evading taxes. I think you know that.
If you don't it's easy enough to find the ugly details.

You characterization of this as "evading" taxes is a lie. Evading taxes
is a crime.

While the details vary from one country to another, there is a general
agreement on the difference between avoidance and evasion.

Avoidance means that you can arrange your normal business affairs so
as to minimise tax. Thee is nothing illegal about this.

Evasion has proved much harder to define but basically you are evading
tax if you have organized you affairs via a scheme or arrangement
which cannot be justified in terms of normal business but whose sole
or major purpose is the avoidance of tax. If it only makes sense by
virtue of it avoiding tax then it is evasion.

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens April 6th 18 04:33 AM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 23:29:09 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

you are pirating it.

Not necessarily.

If you're downloading the tweaked versions from Adobe without
actually
owning a licence, then yes, you are pirating it. The instructions
on
Aodbe's download page specifically say you have to already own a
licence.

That was more or less my point. While piracy was probable it is not
necessarily piracy in every case. In saying "you are pirating it"
nospam had jumped to a conclusion which was not necessarily correct.

nope. i explained that.

the reality is that 'ultred' doesn't have a license and is pirating it.

Is he even using it?

he claims to have used it, however, that's irrelevant. since he never
bought it in the first place, he is not entitled to legally download
it.

That applies to most people.

and?

did you have a point? no.

It destroys your absolute confidence that he "is not entitled to
legally download it".

it doesn't destroy *anything*. in fact it's the opposite. it's proof he
pirated it.

While that applies to most people it does not
apply to all people.

i never said it did.

Your logic is, as usual, faulty. I will leave you with it.

Eric Stevens

Eric Stevens April 6th 18 04:35 AM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 04:23:11 +0100, Ragnusen Ultred
wrote:

Am Tue, 03 Apr 2018 22:28:30 -0400, schrieb nospam:

just because *you* can't figure out how doesn't mean it's impossible.

hehhehheh ..
*Your entire belief system is comprised of fictional functionality.*

More of your classic Apple Apologist denials of well-known fact.
Why do the Apple Apologists deny facts & habitually fabricate imaginary content?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.home.repair/Q2Fj-D3CWcs/e-Wtg_mlBAAJ

What's so predictable about you nospam, is you incessantly fabricate
fictional Apple functionality, that even you must know doesn't exist.

Why do iOS apologists incessantly fabricate fictional iOS functionality?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/K_yBNZiPFYo/yekUPvIXAwAJ

Since you claim a functionality that simply doesn't exist, and you'll
repeatedly and incessantly fabricate that fictional functionality, let's
see if you can get a single other poster to agree with you that your
entirely fictional functionality actually exists.

*Your entire belief system is comprised of fictional functionality.*

nospam is in the process of changing the rules. He is working around
to claiming something different from the topic of discussion.

Eric Stevens

nospam April 6th 18 06:31 AM

wrote:

just because *you* can't figure out how doesn't mean it's impossible.

hehhehheh ..
*Your entire belief system is comprised of fictional functionality.*

More of your classic Apple Apologist denials of well-known fact.

nospam is in the process of changing the rules. He is working around
to claiming something different from the topic of discussion.

nope.

the nymshifting troll is spewing his usual garbage, as are you.

nospam April 6th 18 06:31 AM

wrote:

[...]

you do realize you are trying to defend a well known troll, right?

dorayme[_3_] April 6th 18 09:21 AM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

In article ,
nospam wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens

Your logic is, as usual, faulty. I will leave you with it.

nope.

you do realize you are trying to defend a well known troll, right?

Defending a right position is no crime no matter where it comes from.
But you would not understand this.

--
dorayme

Mayayana April 6th 18 01:45 PM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

"Eric Stevens" wrote

| While the details vary from one country to another, there is a general
| agreement on the difference between avoidance and evasion.
|
| Avoidance means that you can arrange your normal business affairs so
| as to minimise tax. Thee is nothing illegal about this.

This is the problem when too many logic
enthusiasts gather in one place. They all start
debating the acceptable ingredients used in
official fudge sauce and neglect to taste the
hot fudge sundae they're eating.

Avoidance.... Evasion.... Whatever you call it,
there's no debate about what Apple actually does.
They've stashed hundreds of millions of dollars in
offshore tax havens, specifically to avoid paying
corporate taxes in the US.
Timmy Cook acknowledges that. He feels that he
knows what the tax rate should be (technically
defined as "a pittance") and that the US gov't is
simply wrong to charge more. As the High Priest
of Wonderfulness, annointed by Lord Jobs Hisself,
Timmy knows. So until the gov't come to their
senses, he'll avoid operating as an American
company as much as possible.

The argument that says Apple is doing nothing
wrong has nothing to do with splitting hairs over
evasion and avoidance. There are two separate
motives, both of which are emotionally motivated
but hiding behind "logical" arguments over
technicalities:

1) Some Apple fans have a religious devotion to
Apple. For them it's an affiliation, not a retail
product. So they can't criticize. They must
support their own tribe/church. (As Windows users
it's easy to underestimate that effect. But a certain
percentage of Apple users really are zealots. Jobs
came up with the ultimate marketing strategy:

"If you follow me it means you think for yourself." :)

2) A simplistic Ayn-Randism that
defends selfishness by postulating that Nature's
way is basically one big game of King of the Hill,
and that anyone who thinks otherwise is living
in a land of rainbows and unicorns. Those are the
people whose main argument is to conflate
capitalism with selfishness and then use a notably
fuzzy logic to say that we *should* be selfish
because we live in a capitalist system.... We owe it
to the shareholders to be savages.... Love it or leave
it.... Etc. The same cliche "logic" gets regurgitated
every time.

You may sympathize or not with either of those
positions, but at least enjoy your ice cream. :)

nospam April 6th 18 03:39 PM

In article , RJH wrote:

apple is paying their *legal* tax obligation. period.

Insofar as I understand it, agreed.

then there's absolutely no issue, is there?

Yes, there is. Just because something's legal doesn't make it right.

actually, it does.

paying *more* than what they legally owe is stupid.

It may also be consistent with the makeup of the company. Just because
you think it's stupid doesn't make it so.

just because you think it's a good idea doesn't make it so.

nospam April 6th 18 03:39 PM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

Avoidance.... Evasion.... Whatever you call it,
there's no debate about what Apple actually does.

there is when people don't understand it, namely you.

They've stashed hundreds of millions of dollars in
offshore tax havens, specifically to avoid paying
corporate taxes in the US.

stashed is the wrong word. apple earned those hundreds of millions of
dollars *outside* the usa.

just about every other international company does something similar, if
not the same.

PeterN[_7_] April 6th 18 04:49 PM

On 4/6/2018 10:39 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , RJH wrote:

apple is paying their *legal* tax obligation. period.

Insofar as I understand it, agreed.

then there's absolutely no issue, is there?

Yes, there is. Just because something's legal doesn't make it right.

actually, it does.

If you really believe that, you obviously don't know the difference
between legality and morality.

--
PeterN

Ragnusen Ultred April 6th 18 04:49 PM

Am Fri, 06 Apr 2018 08:43:19 +1000, schrieb dorayme:

You say you only speak facts. But do you always back each with more
facts like an adult? But how can this be possible given that there is
an infinite series here and human life is limited? Perhaps adults come
to some bedrock of facts that do not require backing up?

Hi dorayme,

I asked a simple technical question in this thread.
Did it get answered?

Did I ask that _same_ technical question in the adult newsgroups.
Did the adults come to a fantastically accurate fact-filled answer?

What's the difference?

HINT:
- Do you think Jolly Roger ever speaks facts?
- Or nospam? Or Lewis? Or BK@OnRamp? Or Hemidactylus?

You do know what the answer is to those question, don't you?

nospam April 6th 18 04:52 PM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

In article , Ragnusen Ultred
wrote:

I asked a simple technical question in this thread.
Did it get answered?

it did.

nospam April 6th 18 04:53 PM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

In article , PeterN
wrote:

apple is paying their *legal* tax obligation. period.

Insofar as I understand it, agreed.

then there's absolutely no issue, is there?

Yes, there is. Just because something's legal doesn't make it right.

actually, it does.

If you really believe that, you obviously don't know the difference
between legality and morality.

paying taxes isn't a moral issue.

Ragnusen Ultred April 6th 18 05:01 PM

Am Fri, 06 Apr 2018 01:31:10 -0400, schrieb nospam:

the nymshifting troll is spewing his usual garbage, as are you.

Notice two things, as always, with the Apple Apologist nospam.

1. Yet again, nospam fabricated fictional Apple functionality.
2. When called on that fabrication by an adult ...
3. He attacks anyone calling him out on his incessant fabrications.

Sound familair?

Jolly Roger ... are you reading this also?
And Lewis? You too. Oh, and BK@OnRamp ... yes you too.

The incessant fabrication of imaginary Apple functionality is an inherently
defining trait of the dozen or so Apple Apologists.

Ragnusen Ultred April 6th 18 05:18 PM

Am Thu, 5 Apr 2018 10:53:23 +0100, schrieb David B.:

I understand your frustration, Ragnusen.

However, I'm not so sure it has to do with folk using Apple products.

I think we both, David, you and me, have been on Usenet for decades, and
we're both well trained in technical topics where we prove our facts.

I have watched for about two decades or so, the Apple-versus-adults
arguments, where it always amazed me that the Apple users unilaterally are
the ones acting like children act.

I pondered for years why this would be so repeatable.
I don't claim to have the answer - but I do have a hypothesis.

The Apple user is *drawn* to the Apple product, which Apple Marketing
*differentiates* by selling the Apple user on a few promises.

1. Ease of use
2. Safety
3. Security
4. Functionality
5. Style

Are those the top features that Apple Marketing "sells" to its user base?
For the moment, in this post, I assume you agree (although you're welcome
to explain what you think draws people to Apple products).

Let's just take one of those selling points, which is "functionality", and
then let's state a well-known fact:
1. There is zero app functionality on iOS that isn't on Android
2. There is tons of app functionality on Android that isn't on iOS.

That's a fact.
That's not a hypothesis. That's a fact.

For example, my Android devices load any app launcher I want so I can
organize my phone any way I want, and I have automatic phone recorders, bit
torrent apps, graphical recording of wifi signal strength for all access
points, accurate reporting of unique cell tower IDs, ability to put app
icons whereever I want them, etc.

On the other hand, in years, nobody can find a *single* iOS app
functionality that isn't already on Android. Not a single one.
(Sure they make claims about imaginary functionality, but they forget I
also have plenty of iOS devices where their claims always fall flat when
tested.)

Here's just one example of their claims of imaginary iOS functionality:
Android Fact:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/11/2wifianalyzer.jpg
Apple Fact:
http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/11/wifi_sweetspots.jpg

So why do the iOS users incessantly claim imaginary Apple functionality?
I don't know why.

But I hypothesize that they bought into the Marketing claims, and they
never once doublechecked any facts, so, when facts are brought up to them,
they react with immediate hatred and denials of what is, after all, just a
fact.

What do you think about that hypothesis, bearing in mind that it's based
only on the Usenet experience, and not the many Apple web forums (where, in
some, I myself, have written tutorials, e.g., when I first jailbroke an iOS
4 way back when AT&T was the only official carrier).

Ragnusen Ultred April 6th 18 05:27 PM

Am Fri, 6 Apr 2018 09:18:51 -0700, schrieb Ragnusen Ultred:

What do you think about that hypothesis, bearing in mind that it's based
only on the Usenet experience, and not the many Apple web forums (where, in
some, I myself, have written tutorials, e.g., when I first jailbroke an iOS
4 way back when AT&T was the only official carrier).

Oops. Since the Apple posters jump on silly semantics, I meant iPhone 4,
and not iOS 4 (although it might have been iOS 4 at the time).

Notice that I only speak facts.
The average Apple poster seems allergic to facts.

It's a basic fact, for example, that iOS has zero app functionality that
Android doesn't have, and that Android has tons of funcdtionaolity that iOS
doesn't have - and the reason is obvious to any adult why.

1. The hardware is about the same between Apple & Android devices so it's
not the hardware functionality that is limiting the app functionality.

2. Apple *limits* and *restricts* what apps can do (e.g., users can't even
load apps outside the Apple hierarchy, and those apps inside the Apple
hierarchy can't access the hardware features like Android apps can).

Those two reasons alone will *always* results in less app functionality on
iOS than on Android. Period.

The fact is in the taste of the pudding in that Andoid clearly has tons of
app functionality that iOS doesn't have, and there is zero app
functionality on iOS that isn't on Android.

That's just a fact which is a result of the restrictions put in the apps
and not a result of the hardware (certainly the hardware is capable of
reporting Wifi or Cellular data or recording phone calls, or organizing the
home screen, etc.).

All the above is fact.
What's my hypothesis is why the Apple posters hate facts so much that they
instantly respond with childish hateful vitriol and they claim imaginary
functionality that simply doesn't exist.

My hypothesis is that their entire belief system wasn't ever based on
facts.

*Hence facts threaten the entire underpinning of their entire belief system.*

PeterN[_7_] April 6th 18 05:30 PM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 4/6/2018 1:31 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

[...]

And you are feeding the same one.

--
PeterN

PeterN[_7_] April 6th 18 05:33 PM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 4/6/2018 11:53 AM, nospam wrote:
In article , PeterN
wrote:

apple is paying their *legal* tax obligation. period.

Insofar as I understand it, agreed.

then there's absolutely no issue, is there?

Yes, there is. Just because something's legal doesn't make it right.

actually, it does.

If you really believe that, you obviously don't know the difference
between legality and morality.

paying taxes isn't a moral issue.

You did not limit your statement.

--
PeterN

Savageduck[_3_] April 6th 18 06:10 PM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

On Apr 6, 2018, PeterN wrote
(in article ):

On 4/6/2018 1:31 AM, nospam wrote:

Le Snip

you do realize you are trying to defend a well known troll, right?

And you are feeding the same one.

The time has come to kill this thread in rec.photo.digital as it is totally
off topic, and has no reason to exist in a photo NG.

Savageduck

David Taylor April 6th 18 07:39 PM

On 06/04/2018 18:10, Savageduck wrote:
[] The time has come to kill this thread in rec.photo.digital as it is
totally
off topic, and has no reason to exist in a photo NG.

I've just killfiled a couple of the obvious in this newsgroup (and a
couple of other groups where they hang out) and it's delightful what a
pleasant experience reading this newsgroup now is. If only others would
refrain from replying!

--
Cheers,
David

David B.[_2_] April 6th 18 08:31 PM

On 06/04/2018 17:18, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
[...]

Â*Android Fact:
Â*http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/11/2wifianalyzer.jpg
Â*Apple Fact:
Â*http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/11/wifi_sweetspots.jpg
So why do the iOS users incessantly claim imaginary Apple functionality?
I don't know why.

But I hypothesize that they bought into the Marketing claims, and they
never once doublechecked any facts, so, when facts are brought up to
them, they react with immediate hatred and denials of what is, after
all, just a fact.

What do you think about that hypothesis, bearing in mind that it's based
only on the Usenet experience, and not the many Apple web forums (where,
in some, I myself, have written tutorials, e.g., when I first jailbroke
an iOS 4 way back when AT&T was the only official carrier).

Hello Ragnusen

You have far greater Usenet experience than I do - I'd never even heard
of it until I became involved with the Microsoft groups back in 2006.
Most of them are listed he- http://aumha.org/nntp.htm

My son once recomended that I buy an iMac after spending some time in
the Apple store in Albuquerque, New Mexico in 2007/8. He loved the
design and bought one in the USA - I explored in an Apple shop here in
the UK and was similarly entranced. I've just recently bought a new 27
inch iMac to replace my original 24 inch machine and am truly enthralled
with it's speed and fantastic picture quality.

If you've not yet physically tried one, I suggest that you do so. :-)

--
David B.

PeterN[_7_] April 6th 18 11:28 PM

In article , RJH wrote:

apple is paying their *legal* tax obligation. period.

Insofar as I understand it, agreed.

then there's absolutely no issue, is there?

Yes, there is. Just because something's legal doesn't make it right.

actually, it does.

If you really believe that, you obviously don't know the difference
between legality and morality.

Morality doesn't enter into it. Nothing about money or finance is
"moral", the idea is nonsense.

Answer you deserve.

--
PeterN

Mayayana April 6th 18 11:38 PM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

"PeterN" wrote

| Morality doesn't enter into it. Nothing about money or finance is
| "moral", the idea is nonsense.
|
| Answer you deserve.

Just be sure not to lend this character any
money. :)

dorayme[_3_] April 7th 18 01:17 AM

nospam wrote:

just about every other international company does something similar, if
not the same.

As if that makes it ok. Another morally blind response. Do a lot of
people here actually not see though you?

--
dorayme

dorayme[_3_] April 7th 18 01:17 AM

Ragnusen Ultred wrote:

Am Fri, 06 Apr 2018 08:43:19 +1000, schrieb dorayme:

You say you only speak facts. But do you always back each with more
facts like an adult? But how can this be possible given that there is
an infinite series here and human life is limited? Perhaps adults come
to some bedrock of facts that do not require backing up?

Hi dorayme,

I asked a simple technical question in this thread.
Did it get answered?

Did mine above by you?

--
dorayme

RJH April 7th 18 08:08 AM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 03/04/2018 22:23, Lewis wrote:
In message RJH wrote:
On 03/04/2018 15:57, nospam wrote:
In article , Mayayana
wrote:

snip

Exxon/Mobil has to drill oil wells, run tankers, clean
up spills.... how is it that Exxon/Mobil and Apple are
both near the top in profits? How is it that Apple
managed to collect a $215B tax evasion stash offshore
in the space of 7 years? *Billion!* That's about $30B/year.
And that's only the money they're hiding to cheat on taxes.

apple has not evaded paying *any* taxes. apple pays every tax dollar
they owe.

I think s/he meant tax *avoidance*. And Apple most certainly does avoid tax.

Tax avoidance is a meaningless phrase. EVERYONE avoids taxes. That's why
you file a return, to minimize your tax burden.

I would argue, quite successfully, that Apple pays nothing like every
tax dollar they should.

That is a lie, they pay ever dollar they are required to, just like
everyone else.

It's not a lie. It's an opinion that's based on evidence. And is
coincidentally shared by a lot of people. Not you, obvs ;-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Ragnusen Ultred April 7th 18 01:12 PM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

Am Fri, 6 Apr 2018 19:45:03 -0000 (UTC), schrieb Lewis:

I've certainly never met anyone with a religious
devotion to Apple. That is something that people with a large stick up
their asses like to say to justify their irrational hatred for Apple.

I read everything in this ng, but normally don't comment when it goes off
the technical topic, especially as i feel Apple is doing nothing wrong by
making utterly insane profits, and in then trying to not pay taxes on them
by legal means.

But this comment, by Lewis, one of the charter members of the Apple
Apologists, of all people, has just said he's never met anyone with "a
religious devotion to Apple".

Hehhehhehheh... that's a good one. I do thank you for that insight.

Thanks. I love how "innocent" your humor is.

Ragnusen Ultred April 7th 18 01:41 PM

Am Sat, 07 Apr 2018 10:17:51 +1000, schrieb dorayme:

I asked a simple technical question in this thread.
Did it get answered?

Did mine above by you?

My question was on topic.
Hence, any on-topic technical question of the newsgroups infested with
babies will _never_ get answered correctly.

It's only on the adult newsgroups that technical topics are answered
correctly and with sufficient detail to reproduce accurately.

To wit: *These are empirical facts.*

Q: Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?
A: No.

Q: Why not?
A: Lots of reasons why not.

Q: What are the technical details?
A: Mac MS Office can't read the embedded fonts in the Windows Office docs.
A: Adobe Illustrator can't read standard MS Office PowerPoint file format.
A: Adobe Illustrator can't read embedded fonts (in the Office-generated PDF).

Q: What's 1 solution to work around that lack of Mac & AI functionality?
A1: "Just give up" (as usual for Apple users) & load the font into the Mac.
A2: Don't just give up & do all final work on the Windows system with the font.
A2: Then control+v, control+a, control+shift+o to convert fonts to shapes.

Then just hand the printer the Windows AI file with fonts converted to shapes.

Note to dorayme:

The Apple users will likely *scream* bloody murder that these aren't facts,
and yet, these are the inconvenient facts that are so far beyond their
technical competency, that's all they can do is scream that facts aren't
facts.

In general, the Apple posters on this newsgroup prove time & again:
1. They are technically incompetent, so they can't possibly be helpful.
2. Even if they were technically competent, they have no helpful intent.
3. Hence, they just guess (where they're wrong as much as the monkey is).

All the Apple Apologists can do well is endless off-topic rants.
Just watch (since you're one of them).

Ragnusen Ultred April 7th 18 01:41 PM

Am Fri, 06 Apr 2018 11:52:06 -0400, schrieb nospam:

I asked a simple technical question in this thread.
Did it get answered?

it did.

As always, nospam, you prove in every post:
1. You have no intention to ever be helpful, and,
2. Besides, you don't have the technical expertise to be helpful, and,
3. Hence, you just guess, which makes your posts even less accurate than the monkey's posts.

The question was answered in the adult newsgroup long ago.

Q: Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?
A: No.

There's a longer answer, of how to work around this flaw, replete with the
factual details, but factual details would be completely lost on you since
you prove in every post you have zero technical capacity for factual
detail.

nospam April 7th 18 01:47 PM

In article , RJH wrote:

I would argue, quite successfully, that Apple pays nothing like every
tax dollar they should.

That is a lie, they pay ever dollar they are required to, just like
everyone else.

It's not a lie. It's an opinion that's based on evidence. And is
coincidentally shared by a lot of people. Not you, obvs ;-)

it absolutely is a lie. the evidence is very clear that apple pays what
they owe.