PhotoBanter.com

-   In The Darkroom (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Substitue KBr for KI in Crawley's FX-1? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=105511)

Richard Knoppow April 12th 09 11:59 PM

Substitue KBr for KI in Crawley's FX-1?

wrote in message
Is this a reasonable substitution? If so, how would the
two compare by
weight? (The formulary is out of KI, whereas I have plenty
of KBr.)

Potassium iodide is an anti-foggant but has other
properties, mainly it was used in some older developers to
reduce pressure marks. I don't know why Crawley used it in
his formula. Usually its used in very small amounts. I am
not familiar with what else is in FX-1, my memory of
Crawley's formulae is that they are a bit exotic.
Most film developers have little Kbr in them, perhaps
1 gram/liter of working solution. You will probably have to
experiment.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA