PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Ping MarkČ. Canon 24-70 f2.8 'Versus' Canon 24-105 f4 IS (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=53441)

Paul December 15th 05 08:49 PM

Ping MarkČ. Canon 24-70 f2.8 'Versus' Canon 24-105 f4 IS

Hello MarkČ

I understand that you prefer the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS to the Canon EF
24-70mm f/2.8 L.

I was looking at a 24-70, but was unaware of the 24-105 until recently. I
would be interested to hear your opinions on both lenses.

Cheers

MarkČ December 16th 05 06:33 AM

Ping MarkČ. Canon 24-70 f2.8 'Versus' Canon 24-105 f4 IS

1 Attachment(s)
Paul wrote:
Hello MarkČ

I understand that you prefer the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS to the
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L.

I was looking at a 24-70, but was unaware of the 24-105 until
recently. I would be interested to hear your opinions on both lenses.

Cheers

I'll post tomorrow...as I have to go at the moment.
In the mean-time...here's a little jabbering I was doing about it yesterday:
This first part is a quote from Skip...followed by my comments:

Skip M wrote:
From what I've seen, the 24-105 IS is a considerable improvement over
the 28-135 IS, which is why, sometime early next year, when the
finances have recovered a bit, I'm buying the former. I'm still
concerned about the lack of reach on the "L" IS lens, 30mm can be
critical, but it's a stop faster at the long end, and has the IS that
my 24-70 lacks. Mark bought one of the 24-105s, and immediately
started trying to sell his 24-70. That should tell you something
about the image quality.

Are you talking about this Mark (me)?

If so...yes.
I am extremely impressed with the 24-105 f4 IS L.
It now spends the most time on my camera...replacing the 24-70 which
replaced my 28-135.
What I find interesting is that after using the 24-70 and 24-105...I now
return to older snapshots taken with my (now sold) 28-135 IS...and the
difference in sharpness is VERY clear. I think my eyes got used to the look
of the 28-135, and stopped noticing it's weaknesses. Now that I'm used to
the 24-70/105 lenses, the difference is stark.

I was always worried that if I bought the 24-70 L...Canon would then (and
only then...) release an IS version, which is what I really wanted. -And as
Skip knows...that's darn near what happened (you all have me to thank, since
I'm sure they were only waiting for my 24-70 purchase to release the new
IS...).

One big reason I am ready to let my 24-70 go is the lack of mm on the long
end. I'm finding 70 just too short--especially after growing used to the
28-135mm long end. Now that I've spent time with the 24-105, I'm finding
that I'm very comfortable with the range...and that the 30mm difference is
rarely a big deal, day to day. If I was shooting FF, that might effect this
opinion...

The other reason is that as nice as 2.8 is...I find that I dial in smaller
apertures MOST of the time. While the 2.8 does give a terrific and bright
viewfinder, I don't as often need/want larger than f4 in that range.
When I want/need it, I can have it with with either my 16-35 2.8 L...70-200
2.8 IS L, the 100mm 2.8 macro...OR...the 50mm 1.4!!

All this means that the 24-70 offers very little that I can't get
elsewhere...and it doesn't offer IS.
The ONLY loss on the new lens is 2.8. Everything else is just superb.

Blah blah blah.

So Skip--Once you get the 24-105...(assuming you get a good one) I'd put
money on it becoming a favorite.

-Mark
(More below, Paul)
--------
Does the new lens change length when zooming? Like the 28-135mm?

It changes length, just like the 24-70, but in reverse(!).
Strangely, the 24-70 is physically longest when at 24mm...where the 24-105
is physically longest at 105.
The cool thing about the reverse-extension on the 24-70 was/is that the lens
hood stays put, while the lens lengthens. This means that the hood is FAR
more protective when at 105 (since the front element is then burried DEEP at
the back of the hood), but then the hood becomes appropriately shallow when
shooting wide (since the front element extends outward when shoot
wide...meaning it's close to the end of the lens hood, and unobstructed).
This makes for a very effective hood compared with the 24-105...which has a
hood that attaches to the front ELEMENT housing, rather than behind the
front element housing on the 24-70.
(Did you follow that??)

Anyway...Yes. It does change length.

Yep, that 28-135mm was a kak lens. I hated it...

I didn't hate it at all.
It's a very decent lens for it's price and position in the line.
-But the 24-105 kicks it's booty in optically, physically and is only
slightly larger.

Mark
To Paul:
The 24-70 is an absolutely fantastic lens, but tomorrow I'll try to explain
why I'm now reaching for the 24-105 instead. Your needs may well be more
suited to the 24-70. If so...I've got a perfect, near-new one I'll sell
you. :) Seriously, though... I think the 24-105 deserves your serious
consideration.
-Mark