PhotoBanter.com

-   -   A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windows without installing anything on either (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131215)

PeterN[_7_] March 4th 18 08:16 PM

On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd
like a pint
of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman,
"that'll be
ATP."

Exceptionally clever.

Groan

--
PeterN

PeterN[_7_] March 4th 18 08:20 PM

A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windowswithout installing anything on either

In message , Alan Browne
On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
Â*A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd
likeÂ* a pint
of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman,
"that'll be
ATP."

Exceptionally clever.

(Would have emailed but your signature doesn't say how to demunge your
address:) yes, I thought so! I certainly didn't create it: it was from a
list of something like 100 best jokes, or 20 best puns, or something, in
the Independent (a British newspaper) some years ago.

Probably lost on non-UK readers though (-:

Not if they were involved in healthcare. ;-)
I was not a healthcare provider, but had many clients who were.

--
PeterN

Alan Browne[_2_] March 4th 18 09:52 PM

On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd
like a pint
of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman,
"that'll be
ATP."

Exceptionally clever.

Groan

Not sure you dug far enough.

--
“The less the prudence with which others conduct their affairs,
the greater the prudence with which we must conduct our own.â€

J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_] March 5th 18 09:33 PM

A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windows without installing anything on either

On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
*A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd
like* a pint
of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman,
"that'll be
ATP."

Exceptionally clever.

(Would have emailed but your signature doesn't say how to demunge
your address:) yes, I thought so! I certainly didn't create it: it
was from a list of something like 100 best jokes, or 20 best puns, or
something, in the Independent (a British newspaper) some years ago.
Probably lost on non-UK readers though (-:

Not if they were involved in healthcare. ;-)
I was not a healthcare provider, but had many clients who were.

It wasn't the ATP aspect I thought might not be obvious outside the UK,
it was the 80p aspect.

Though I should amend it to "some" adenosine; I suspect it's a _long_
time since 80p would get you a pint of _anything_ from a barman.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

The desire to remain private and/or anonymous used to be a core British value,
but in recent times it has been treated with suspicion - an unfortunate by-
product of the widespread desire for fame. - Chris Middleton,
Computing 6 September 2011

Alan Browne[_2_] March 5th 18 09:39 PM

In message , Alan
On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
Â*A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd
likeÂ* a pint
of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman,
"that'll be
ATP."

Exceptionally clever.

(Would have emailed but your signature doesn't say how to demunge
your address:) yes, I thought so! I certainly didn't create it: it
was from a list of something like 100 best jokes, or 20 best puns, or
something, in the Independent (a British newspaper) some years ago.

Probably lost on non-UK readers though (-:

I got the "eighty p." easily enough.Â* I had to look up the substance
to find the clever bit.

A little Google gets the process rolling...

Â* "bioluminescence-for-beverages
Â*Â* ... Since ATP is a proxy for how much bacteria is present
Â* "

That's not how you make beer of course :-)

That suggests the biochemist is aware that a beer would
be rich in ATP, as it's a marker of some sort of "activity"
(fermentation???).

snipped

You haven't come even close to the clever bit.

Alan Browne[_2_] March 5th 18 09:50 PM

On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
Â*A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd
likeÂ* a pint
of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman,
"that'll be
ATP."

Exceptionally clever.

(Would have emailed but your signature doesn't say how to demunge
yourÂ* address:) yes, I thought so! I certainly didn't create it: it
was from aÂ* list of something like 100 best jokes, or 20 best puns,
or something, inÂ* the Independent (a British newspaper) some years ago.
Â*Probably lost on non-UK readers though (-:

Not if they were involved in healthcare. ;-)
I was not a healthcare provider, but had many clients who were.

It wasn't the ATP aspect I thought might not be obvious outside the UK,
it was the 80p aspect.

.... which still isn't the "clever" bit...

PeterN[_7_] March 6th 18 01:27 AM

A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windowswithout installing anything on either

BrowneÂ* writes:
On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
[...]

I took the comment as a pun.

--
PeterN

On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
[...]

It's actually a very clever joke - the 80 p. pun only scratched the surface.

J. P. Gilliver (John)[_2_] March 6th 18 03:05 PM

On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
[...]

I realise humour is usually spoilt by explanation, but please explain
anyway: I couldn't see beyond the 80p.
--
J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

"I am entitled to my own opinion."
"Yes, but it's your constant assumption that everyone else is also that's so
annoying." - Vila & Avon

Alan Browne March 6th 18 05:58 PM

A simple way to transfer photos from your phone to Windowswithout installing anything on either

In message , Alan Browne
On 2018-03-03 08:43, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
[...]

I was going to wait another 24 hours or so...

To a biochemist it goes further if one looks into the role that ATP
plays in living cells:

It is often referred to as the "molecular unit of currency" of
intracellular energy transfer.

That is the clever bit that turns the pun into a fine joke ... ATP as
currency. 80 p. worth in this case.

ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_triphosphate

When you posted that sig, knowing that engineers and scientists always
have their inside humour I thought it best to know more about ATP.

Wikipedia is always a good source for such.