PhotoBanter.com

-   -   The GIMP 2.10 Is Out (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131554)

android June 3rd 18 09:21 PM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit depth
and such... I have not gotten around to try it yet but this line on the
terminal will set you up so that you can try for yourselves:

sudo port -v install gimp2 && gimp

https://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.10.html

--
teleportation kills

nospam June 3rd 18 10:29 PM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

In article , android
wrote:

I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit depth
and such...

something photoshop had in 1992.

it still does not have adjustment layers, something photoshop had in
1996, making it still useless to any serious editing.

android June 4th 18 06:37 AM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 17:29:20 -0400, nospam wrote
in lid:

In article , android
wrote:

I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit depth
and such...

something photoshop had in 1992.

it still does not have adjustment layers, something photoshop had in
1996, making it still useless to any serious editing.

Photoshop was eight bits per channel until CS, IIRC...

--
teleportation kills

nospam June 4th 18 07:41 AM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

In article , android
wrote:

I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit depth
and such...

something photoshop had in 1992.

it still does not have adjustment layers, something photoshop had in
1996, making it still useless to any serious editing.

Photoshop was eight bits per channel until CS, IIRC...

you rc wrong. very very wrong.

android June 4th 18 08:29 AM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 02:41:23 -0400, nospam wrote
in lid:

In article , android
wrote:

I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit
depth and such...

something photoshop had in 1992.

it still does not have adjustment layers, something photoshop had in
1996, making it still useless to any serious editing.

Photoshop was eight bits per channel until CS, IIRC...

you rc wrong. very very wrong.

No. Photoshop is not worth the extra investment without plugins, which
got 16bit support with CC...

https://www.imaging-resource.com/SOFT/PS7/PS7.HTM

Even the GIMP people has stopped claiming that "Eight bits all anybody
needs 'couse that's what the endusers browser display!"

Here's a good tut that shows the benefits of 16bit editing:

https://www.diyphotography.net/8-bit-vs-16-bit-color-depth-use-matters/

--
teleportation kills

-hh June 4th 18 09:44 AM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

n article , android
wrote:

I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit depth
and such...

something photoshop had in 1992.

it still does not have adjustment layers, something photoshop had in
1996, making it still useless to any serious editing.

Photoshop was eight bits per channel until CS, IIRC...

CS was 32 vs 64 bits for addressing of memory, which was required
for having more total RAM for larger images.

Having 16 bit channels dates from November 1992 (version 2.5):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

-hh

android June 4th 18 11:04 AM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 01:44:18 -0700, -hh
wrote in :

n article , android
wrote:

I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit
depth and such...

something photoshop had in 1992.

it still does not have adjustment layers, something photoshop had in
1996, making it still useless to any serious editing.

Photoshop was eight bits per channel until CS, IIRC...

CS was 32 vs 64 bits for addressing of memory, which was required for
having more total RAM for larger images.

Having 16 bit channels dates from November 1992 (version 2.5):
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_version_history

Know that! The problem was lack of 16bit support for the plugins, which
is crucial for working with Photoshop the Photoshop way.

--
teleportation kills

Neil[_9_] June 4th 18 01:57 PM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

On 6/3/2018 4:21 PM, android wrote:
I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit depth
and such... I have not gotten around to try it yet but this line on the
terminal will set you up so that you can try for yourselves:

sudo port -v install gimp2 && gimp

https://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.10.html

Since Gimp is useless for serious editing you should have included 'OT'
in the subject line.

--
best regards,

Neil

android June 4th 18 02:04 PM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 08:57:44 -0400, Neil wrote in
:

On 6/3/2018 4:21 PM, android wrote:
I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit depth
and such... I have not gotten around to try it yet but this line on the
terminal will set you up so that you can try for yourselves:

sudo port -v install gimp2 && gimp

https://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.10.html

Since Gimp is useless for serious editing you should have included 'OT'
in the subject line.

It's not even though it's not my weapon of choice!

--
teleportation kills

ray carter June 4th 18 03:10 PM

The GIMP 2.10 Is Out

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 08:57:44 -0400, Neil wrote:

On 6/3/2018 4:21 PM, android wrote:
I noticed this while updating Macports. It now features high bit depth
and such... I have not gotten around to try it yet but this line on the
terminal will set you up so that you can try for yourselves:

sudo port -v install gimp2 && gimp

https://www.gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.10.html

Since Gimp is useless for serious editing you should have included 'OT'
in the subject line.

I must not understand the significance of 'rec' in the group name.