PhotoBanter.com

-   In The Darkroom (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   B/W Papers. (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=114245)

Darkroom User August 16th 10 08:27 PM

B/W Papers.

Do any of you have a favorite photo paper for general use?
I have some ilford Multigrade resin papers at the moment, but I want to try some fiber paper as well, but which to choose?
Which paper developers are a good general choice? It does not matter if liquid or powder developers.
I think that choosing a good paper and process chemistry and then keeping with them should be a good way to learn.

David Nebenzahl August 16th 10 11:37 PM

B/W Papers.

On 8/16/2010 12:27 PM Darkroom User spake thus:

Which paper developers are a good general choice? It does not matter if
liquid or powder developers.

Dektol. Dektol. Dektol.

(Or whatever Ilford's equivalent is if you're in the UK.)

IanG August 17th 10 06:36 AM

Ilford Multigrade developer will give better results than Dektol/D72, it has a better dish life and is optimised for Multigrade papers, there can be colour shifts between grades with Dektol.

Ian

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Nebenzahl (Post 887388)

Keith Tapscott. August 17th 10 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkroom User (Post 887358)
Do any of you have a favorite photo paper for general use?
I have some ilford Multigrade resin papers at the moment, but I want to try some fiber paper as well, but which to choose?
Which paper developers are a good general choice? It does not matter if liquid or powder developers.
I think that choosing a good paper and process chemistry and then keeping with them should be a good way to learn.

I also suggest using Ilford Multigrade developer as your regular paper-developer.

Keith Tapscott. August 18th 10 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkroom User (Post 887358)
Do any of you have a favorite photo paper for general use?

I use Ilford papers, although I did try a sample pack of Fomatone MG recently.

MG-IV FB is Ilford's standard paper if you want to use fibre-based papers and MG-WT FB if you prefer a warmer image. There is also Galerie which is available in grades 2 and 3 only.
My contact-sheets are made on MG-IV RC glossy paper.

Multigrade developer diluted 1+9 works very well with all of those papers.
I also use Ilford Stop-Bath, Rapid Fixer and Wash-Aid, as they are available at my local photographic store.

IanG August 18th 10 09:08 PM

I'm deliberately being rude posting before the quote
because the whole NewsGroup system stinks, there's now too many ways to access, some say post before the quote others after.

Posts like these 2 of Keith's show up via PhotoBanter but not via a News Group reader, they will later no doubt.

Keith knows me personally so he'll know my rant is sincere :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkroom User (Post 887358)
Do any of you have a favorite photo paper for general use?
I have some ilford Multigrade resin papers at the moment, but I want to try some fiber paper as well, but which to choose?
Which paper developers are a good general choice? It does not matter if liquid or powder developers.
I think that choosing a good paper and process chemistry and then keeping with them should be a good way to learn.

To the OP

My favourite paper since the demise of Record Rapid has to be Forte Polywarmtone, I bought in bulk, I have 75 sheets left 16"x12" but maybe 150 sheets of larger sizes so possibly another 300+ sheets 16"X12" when cut down to size. Luckily Mirko hpes to make more :)

IAn

[email protected] August 19th 10 01:14 AM

B/W Papers.

Darkroom User wrote:
Do any of you have a favorite photo paper for general use?
I have some ilford Multigrade resin papers at the moment, but I want to
try some fiber paper as well, but which to choose?
Which paper developers are a good general choice? It does not matter if
liquid or powder developers.
I think that choosing a good paper and process chemistry and then
keeping with them should be a good way to learn.

It is. Too many people want to experiment all over the place and get
lost. It's hard to screw up with Ilford paper and Dektol type developer.
If you can't make good prints with those materials, you need to work on
your technique. After you have mastered these, maybe venture out to see
what different look you can get with something else.

Stephaney