PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Does anybody have an answer? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=106603)

N[_5_] June 6th 09 01:12 AM

Does anybody have an answer?

"sambarluc" wrote in message
Reading all the mess about DP2, and expectations on Olympus, and the
dissatisfaction of many (or at least me) with the building philosophy
of present day digital cameras, I came up with a thought.
Camera world seems a bit like the world of computing these days.
Companies sell always new, more powerful hardware to stay up to date
with new and more demanding software, which in fact very seldom
improves user experience. At least for software there's the open
source community, much more sensitive to a minimalist/high
productivity approach, but what about cameras? I have a silly idea: a
modular camera, that you can build on your needs like a PC. You don't
buy the 73rd autofocus point, if you don't need it. You don't buy
smile detection if you only use Av. You can keep it simple and
lightweight, or make it look like (Concise) Oxford dictionary, with as
many functions as MS Word. If cameras and electronics have to merge,
why not going all the way? A bit like Leica a la carte, but less
stupidly useless.
Now, why nobody came up with something like this? Why something like
this exists for medium format but not for more compact formats? Shall
I found a new company? ;-) Hey, anybody from Canon or Nikon listening?
I would really like to have a serious answer.
Andrea

It isn't cheap.
http://www.red.com/

Pete D June 6th 09 11:06 PM

Does anybody have an answer?

--

Who ever said it has to be cheap? If it's worth, there will probably
be a market anyway. Otherwise, red wouldn't exist.

The OP did by inference, if you don't need it then don't buy the feature he
said.