PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Nikon D70 + Tokina 12-24 (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=49033)

Walter Mitty August 26th 05 03:01 PM

Nikon D70 + Tokina 12-24

Is this lens incompatible with the built in flash? I keep getting a
shadowy half moon at the bottom of the picture.

Walter Mitty August 26th 05 03:38 PM

Walter Mitty wrote:
Is this lens incompatible with the built in flash? I keep getting a
shadowy half moon at the bottom of the picture.

Additionally, having played around : this dark area only occurs with
the lens between 12 & 18 mm and only with flash. So not the lens
obstructing the light since then I'd get the dark area with the lens
fully extended at 24 mm?

Arthur Small August 26th 05 04:15 PM

If the shadow was at the top, I would say it is due to the lens shade. I do
not have any such problem with this lens on my D70.

www.alldigital.fotopic.net

Ronnie Sellar August 26th 05 04:27 PM

Walter Mitty wrote:

Walter Mitty wrote:
Is this lens incompatible with the built in flash? I keep getting a
shadowy half moon at the bottom of the picture.

Additionally, having played around : this dark area only occurs with
the lens between 12 & 18 mm and only with flash. So not the lens
obstructing the light since then I'd get the dark area with the lens
fully extended at 24 mm?

Well the angle of view is wider at 12mm so more likely to include the area
in the lens' shadow. The 24mm view may not be wide enough to see the
shadow. The other problem is the D70 built in flash doesn't cover the
whole frame with a 12mm lens. Can't remember off hand what the limit is
but its not 12mm.

RAS

Walter Mitty August 26th 05 06:12 PM

Ronnie Sellar wrote:
Walter Mitty wrote:

Walter Mitty wrote:

Is this lens incompatible with the built in flash? I keep getting a
shadowy half moon at the bottom of the picture.

Additionally, having played around : this dark area only occurs with
the lens between 12 & 18 mm and only with flash. So not the lens
obstructing the light since then I'd get the dark area with the lens
fully extended at 24 mm?

Well the angle of view is wider at 12mm so more likely to include the area
in the lens' shadow. The 24mm view may not be wide enough to see the
shadow. The other problem is the D70 built in flash doesn't cover the
whole frame with a 12mm lens. Can't remember off hand what the limit is
but its not 12mm.

I stayed in the same position photographing the same object. If it was a
"shadow" wouldn't it be in same location in the real world?

IMKen August 26th 05 06:38 PM

Yes, it will not cover that wide an area. It is limited to 24 MM. In
addition it is too low on the camera and it is the shadow of the lens you
are seeing.

Ken

Doug Payne August 26th 05 09:08 PM

On 26/08/2005 10:01 AM, Walter Mitty wrote:

Is this lens incompatible with the built in flash? I keep getting a
shadowy half moon at the bottom of the picture.

Probably, some wide-angle zoom lenses are. Did you remove the hood? How
close was the subject?

Your manual probably lists some of the Nikon lenses with which you'll
have issues. Is the Nikon 12-24 listed there?

Walter Mitty August 30th 05 11:01 AM

Ronnie Sellar wrote:
Walter Mitty wrote:

Ronnie Sellar wrote:

Walter Mitty wrote:

Walter Mitty wrote:

Is this lens incompatible with the built in flash? I keep getting a
shadowy half moon at the bottom of the picture.

Additionally, having played around : this dark area only occurs with
the lens between 12 & 18 mm and only with flash. So not the lens
obstructing the light since then I'd get the dark area with the lens
fully extended at 24 mm?

Well the angle of view is wider at 12mm so more likely to include the
area
in the lens' shadow. The 24mm view may not be wide enough to see the
shadow. The other problem is the D70 built in flash doesn't cover the
whole frame with a 12mm lens. Can't remember off hand what the limit is
but its not 12mm.

I stayed in the same position photographing the same object. If it was a
"shadow" wouldn't it be in same location in the real world?

Possibly, but by using the zoom and not moving you are changing the angle of
view i.e. how much of the scene is included. Obviously from 12-18mm this
view includes the lens' shadow and from 18-24mm it does not. The lens is
obstructing the flash. I think the manual warns you about this but of
course only lists Nikkors that are affected.

RAS

Thanks for your comments. It certainly is the lens obstructing the flash
and only getting picked up at wider angles (12-18)

I'm really ****ed off about this : there were no warnings in any reviews
- it makes this lens USELESS for indoor flash photography. Grrr, 450
Euro down the toilet.

--
Walter Mitty
-

Walter Mitty August 30th 05 11:03 AM

Walter Mitty wrote:
Is this lens incompatible with the built in flash? I keep getting a
shadowy half moon at the bottom of the picture.

Thanks to all.

It is the wide angle setting picking up the lens obstructing the flash.

As a newbie it never entered my mind to check built in flash
compatability : a lesson now well learnt. I'm also very surprised not to
have seen this mentioned din online Tokina reviews.

Will a Speedlight 800 be ok, since its considerably higher when shoed in?

Ronnie Sellar August 30th 05 11:11 AM

Walter Mitty wrote:

Ronnie Sellar wrote:
Walter Mitty wrote:

Ronnie Sellar wrote:

Walter Mitty wrote:

Walter Mitty wrote:

[...]

Only if you use the internal flash. There will be no shadow in the picture
if you use an external flash in the hotshoe. You of course need the
external flash and some sort of diffuser to get full coverage of the frame
at 12mm anyway.

RAS