PhotoBanter.com

-   In The Darkroom (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ferricyanide and RC Paper (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=108813)

Richard Knoppow October 1st 09 01:21 AM

Ferricyanide and RC Paper

"Lew" wrote in message
I plan to experiment with cleaning up print highlights this
weekend
via ferricyanide solution & refixing, so I'm googling
around for
whatever tips I can find. A thread on APUG suggests that
this won't
work on RC prints, yet another assures that it will.
Any comments on this dilemma?

Ferricyanide is used in Farmer's reducer. It will work
on any paper or film. There are some variations of Farmer's
mainly in the strength of the bleach. Farmer's can be used
in two ways: 1, bleach and hypo combined; 2, bleach used
first and then the hypo. The first tends to reduce low
density areas first, the second reduces more or less
uniformly reducing contrast. To clean highlights the first
is probably better.
After a print or negative is treated with Farmer's it
should be re-fixed and thoroughly washed. Farmer's converts
some of the silver to silver ferricyanide which will
eventually cause a stain if left in the emulsion. It will
also tone so reduced prints should be fixed and washed again
before toning.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nicholas O. Lindan October 1st 09 02:33 PM

Ferricyanide and RC Paper

Reduce first, tone second.

After prints have been toned they are very resistant to bleaching.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC