PhotoBanter.com

-   Medium Format Photography Equipment (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Circular Polarizer and lens flare (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=14840)

Quest0029 October 3rd 04 06:16 AM

Circular Polarizer and lens flare

Would a circular polarizer be useful in
reducing lens flare problems with older
uncoated lenses?
Thanks

Q.G. de Bakker October 3rd 04 12:13 PM

Quest0029 wrote:

Would a circular polarizer be useful in
reducing lens flare problems with older
uncoated lenses?

No. Not at all.
In fact, it would do the opposite: add two uncoated surfaces to produce even
more flare.

RolandRB October 4th 04 12:28 PM

(Quest0029) wrote in message ...
Would a circular polarizer be useful in
reducing lens flare problems with older
uncoated lenses?
Thanks

No, because you add two more uncoated surfaces which will cause more
reflections. You should get hold of a suitable lens hood instead and
make sure the lens is very clean (though slightly dirty but umsmeared
lenses actually have less flare sometimes).

Bob Salomon October 4th 04 12:35 PM

In article ,
(RolandRB) wrote:

No, because you add two more uncoated surfaces which will cause more
reflections.

Heliopan SHPMC circular polarizers have 16 coats (8 per side) to
eliminate this problem.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Q.G. de Bakker October 4th 04 12:47 PM

Bob Salomon wrote:

Heliopan SHPMC circular polarizers have 16 coats (8 per side) to
eliminate this problem.

.... and still do nothing to reduce reflections in a lens (coated or
uncoated).
They do NOTHING AT ALL to eliminate the problem we're discusging.

When will they finally get their act together, those Heliopan people?

And when will be relieved from Bob's advertising campaigns...?
When will Bob learn to read what people are talking about?
When will Bob learn that there are marketplace groups in which he can
conduct his bussiness as much as he likes, and that this group is NOT such a
group?

David J. Littleboy October 4th 04 01:53 PM

"Q.G. de Bakker" wrote in message
Bob Salomon wrote:

Heliopan SHPMC circular polarizers have 16 coats (8 per side) to
eliminate this problem.

... and still do nothing to reduce reflections in a lens (coated or
uncoated).
They do NOTHING AT ALL to eliminate the problem we're discusging.

Unless you were already using a big hood and the only problem was flare from
specular refelctions that the polarizer reduces.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Jeremy October 4th 04 05:45 PM

Bob Salomon wrote:

Heliopan SHPMC circular polarizers have 16 coats (8 per side) to
eliminate this problem.

... and still do nothing to reduce reflections in a lens (coated or
uncoated).

If I understand it correctly, the coating on the outermost side of the first
element does nothing, as there are no reflections to cancel. But what about
the coating on the inside fact of the filter? Would that not serve to
cancel reflections between the filter and the first element of the lens?

Has anyone ever published any test results on multicoated filters? I
vaguely recall reading some time ago that the effects of multicoating on a
filter were negligible, and that the use of a good lens shade made a much
bigger difference in reduction of flare.