PhotoBanter.com

-   Digital SLR Cameras (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   canon eos 20d (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=28754)

Jim Lang November 18th 04 06:13 PM

canon eos 20d

I think the answer is: I can and have, with fairly good to great results,
but can you? You need to think about what you are doing, use available
rests, and all the other things that go with it. Are you shooting: sports,
landscapes, inside caves; it depends on how you use it. But to be fair, I
would shot short and crop! my cannon 300 got used very little compared to my
200. A! and 10D
Jim
"Lionel" wrote in message
Kibo informs me that "L.C." stated that:

It is possible to use a 75-300 lense without a tripod, but my policy is to
use a tripod as much as possible. What is possible and what is smart is
not
always the same thing. It is very difficult to hand hold long lenses
without degrading the image.

I've shot handheld many times with my 10D & my ancient EF
100-300mm/F5.6L (480mm effective) zoom, & get acceptable results at
anything faster than 1/500. The lower I go from there, the more shots I
lose to camera shake, but it's not an unusable combination.

How many of those photographers on the
sidelines of sporting events are using those lenses without at least a
monopod?

True, but those guys are usually shooting with lenses *much* longer &
heavier than a consumer EF 75-300. Plus, they're shooting for hours,
which really tires out your arms (resulting in much more shake) if you
don't use some sort of support.
That said, I completely agree that it's preferable to use some sort of
support if it's at all feasible.