PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131293)

Eric Stevens April 4th 18 03:32 AM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 10:57:26 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Bananas are readily available but they are not generally free. That is
why it can be misleading to say they are freely available.

bananas are not software

They are nouns.

good point. all nouns are distributed in the same way software is.

another hour or so and my groceries should be finished downloading.

The sentence under discussion says nothing about downloading.

the issue is pirating cs2, no matter how hard you try to twist it into
something else.

So too is 'Adobe illustrator'. My statement was
concerned with the use/misuse of the English language.

as well it should, since you greatly misused it.

This from the guy who thinks that parsing applies only to software.

where do i get a hardware parser?

You don't. But you balked at the idea of parsing the English language.

you are pirating it.

Not necessarily.

yes necessarily.

Even if he already has a license?

he doesn't and you know it.

I've ploughed through much of his junk and found nothing to suggest
that he has a copy of Illustrator,

exactly the point.

So we don't know either way.

you might not, but the rest of us certainly know.

let alone that he has pirated it.

since it's clear that he never bought cs2, downloading it is pirating
it.

Has he downloaded it?

duh.

he also has admitted to pirating a wide variety of other stuff, so this
is not any sort of surprise.

As far as I can tell the discussion is in the general case, in which
case neither the presence or absence of a license can be assumed.

assumed is the wrong word. no assumptions are necessary.

Where is your evidence?

his numerous posts in this thread and others.

based on what he's written in this thread and countless others, it's
*quite* clear what he's doing.

The clarity is an inference.

not to those who pay attention.

Eric Stevens

Alan Baker April 4th 18 03:53 AM

On 2018-04-03 7:21 PM, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Tue, 03 Apr 2018 10:57:28 -0400, schrieb nospam:

And the Mac just can't do that.

oh yes it can.

Once again you just guess, where you have a 50% chance of being correct,
and you're wrong. Even the monkey finds the bannas under the box more often
than you would.

If we had anyone on the Mac out of the score of people who edited this
PowerPoint file with embedded fonts without having to deal with installing
system fonts, exactly ZERO of those hypothetical Mac users would have seen
the special fonts in the given template.

Do you know why nospam?
I think you do.

You just play your silly semantic games, where I only speak fact.

Why do you Apple users play silly games when confronted with facts?
I don't know why.

I just know that you do.
Here's a classic case, for example, of your same silly game.
Â*Android Fact:
Â*http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/11/2wifianalyzer.jpg
Â*Apple Fact:
Â*http://wetakepic.com/images/2017/10/11/wifi_sweetspots.jpg
Silly games played by the Apple users when confronted with facts:
Â*https://youtu.be/7QaABa6DFIo

Proof of more of your silly games when confronted with fact, over he
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/-T7FEXIdU9Q/qbvz5DeaAgAJ

Wow, but you're tedious little twit.

Ragnusen Ultred April 4th 18 04:23 AM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

Am Tue, 03 Apr 2018 22:28:30 -0400, schrieb nospam:

just because *you* can't figure out how doesn't mean it's impossible.

hehhehheh ..
*Your entire belief system is comprised of fictional functionality.*

More of your classic Apple Apologist denials of well-known fact.
Why do the Apple Apologists deny facts & habitually fabricate imaginary content?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.home.repair/Q2Fj-D3CWcs/e-Wtg_mlBAAJ

What's so predictable about you nospam, is you incessantly fabricate
fictional Apple functionality, that even you must know doesn't exist.

Why do iOS apologists incessantly fabricate fictional iOS functionality?
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/misc.phone.mobile.iphone/K_yBNZiPFYo/yekUPvIXAwAJ

Since you claim a functionality that simply doesn't exist, and you'll
repeatedly and incessantly fabricate that fictional functionality, let's
see if you can get a single other poster to agree with you that your
entirely fictional functionality actually exists.

*Your entire belief system is comprised of fictional functionality.*

Eric Stevens April 4th 18 04:27 AM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

On Tue, 03 Apr 2018 10:57:27 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

you are pirating it.

Not necessarily.

If you're downloading the tweaked versions from Adobe without actually
owning a licence, then yes, you are pirating it. The instructions on
Aodbe's download page specifically say you have to already own a
licence.

That was more or less my point. While piracy was probable it is not
necessarily piracy in every case. In saying "you are pirating it"
nospam had jumped to a conclusion which was not necessarily correct.

nope. i explained that.

the reality is that 'ultred' doesn't have a license and is pirating it.

Is he even using it?

he claims to have used it, however, that's irrelevant. since he never
bought it in the first place, he is not entitled to legally download
it.

That applies to most people.

and?

did you have a point? no.

It destroys your absolute confidence that he "is not entitled to
legally download it". While that applies to most people it does not
apply to all people.

Eric Stevens

nospam April 4th 18 04:29 AM

wrote:

[...]

it doesn't destroy *anything*. in fact it's the opposite. it's proof he
pirated it.

While that applies to most people it does not
apply to all people.

i never said it did.

David B.[_2_] April 4th 18 08:31 AM

On 04/04/2018 04:23, Ragnusen Ultred wrote:
Am Tue, 03 Apr 2018 22:28:30 -0400, schrieb nospam:

just because *you* can't figure out how doesn't mean it's impossible.

hehhehheh .. *Your entire belief system is comprised of fictional
functionality.*

I'm pleased to see that you have updated your Thunderbird software! :-)

*Your entire belief system is comprised of fictional functionality.*

For your written script to appear emboldened in Thunderbird, you need to
adjust where you place the asterisk at the right-hand end, viz:-

*Your entire belief system is comprised of fictional functionality*.

HTH

--
David B.

Mayayana April 4th 18 01:13 PM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint with fonts?

"RJH" wrote

| apple, like other companies as well as individuals, pay the taxes they
| owe, however, they *minimize* it to the extent that the tax code
| allows. in fact, as a public company, they're legally *obligated* to do
| so.
|

| Nonsense.

Hey, give the guy a chance. April 15th is coming
up and it sounds like he knows a legal way to move
all my income to the Cayman Islands, so that I can
"fairly and legally" pay no income tax. After all,
"everyone" avoids taxes if they can, right? This must
be they key to how one buys a $1,200 phone with
a straight face.

I just hope the Linux/Windows user base can afford
to keep funding my Social Security check. Those
scruffy Linux people don't look like they have a lot
of income. And with no help from corporations or
hardcore AppleSeeds, the pressure's on them. :)

Ragnusen Ultred April 4th 18 03:03 PM

Am Wed, 4 Apr 2018 08:31:40 +0100, schrieb David B.:

I'm pleased to see that you have updated your Thunderbird software! :-)

Just for you, since you are an Apple user who doesn't have technical
competency and hence you can only play silly semantic games, since you seem
to care a lot about what other people's headers say, I updated the headers
(just for you) to *Thunderbird version 99.9.9* and I matched your +1 time
zone to boot!

RJH April 4th 18 03:45 PM

Can Mac Adobe Illustrator read in a Microsoft PowerPoint withfonts?

On 04/04/2018 03:20, nospam wrote:
In article , RJH wrote:

Exxon/Mobil has to drill oil wells, run tankers, clean
up spills.... how is it that Exxon/Mobil and Apple are
both near the top in profits? How is it that Apple
managed to collect a $215B tax evasion stash offshore
in the space of 7 years? *Billion!* That's about $30B/year.
And that's only the money they're hiding to cheat on taxes.

apple has not evaded paying *any* taxes. apple pays every tax dollar
they owe.

I think s/he meant tax *avoidance*. And Apple most certainly does avoid
tax.

no they don't. apple does *not* evade or avoid paying taxes. period.

They avoid paying tax. Period.

nope.

apple follows the tax code to reduce their tax liability, just like
other businesses and individuals do, which is not only legal, but smart
business.

There is no such thing as a 'tax code' in the sense you are using it.
There's more than one way of paying, avoiding or evading tax.

apple does *not* fudge the numbers to avoid paying taxes. that's
illegal and stupid.

It obfuscates.

unfortunately, there are a few businesses who don't pay what they owe
and they eventually get fined or even shut down.

here's two:
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...n-3-Five-Guys-
Locations-Citing-Failure-to-Pay-Taxes-462115413.html
The D.C. government has ordered the shutdown of three Five Guys
restaurants in the city because the owners failed to pay sales taxes,
officials say.

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/03/...-bar-in-portla
nd-to-serve-4-months-for-failing-to-pay-taxes/
The owner of a landmark bar and restaurant on Portland¹s waterfront
will serve four months in jail and pay more than $1.3 million in
restitution for failing to turn over most of her sales taxes to the
state, and for not paying her personal and corporate Maine income

taxes, over a period of seven years.

Why did they shift off-shoring tax from
Ireland to Jersey? Partly to save face. But to save face over avoiding
$14B in tax. By avoiding it in a more obscure way.

nope.

Um - why, then?

apple, like other companies as well as individuals, pay the taxes they
owe, however, they *minimize* it to the extent that the tax code
allows. in fact, as a public company, they're legally *obligated* to do
so.

What is this 'tax code'?

Nonsense. There is no law that says a company cannot pay tax at a full
and fair local rate.

public companies have a fiduciary obligation to their shareholders.

Ah, so it's not a 'law'. And it's not an obligation. Plenty, albeit a
minority, of companies do not act as Apple acts.

judge learned hand,
http://intltax.typepad.com/intltax_b...x-quotes-4-5.h
tml
Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low
as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best
pay the Treasury; there is not even a patriotic duty to increase
one's taxes.
Gregory v. Helvering, 69 F.2d 809, 810 (2d Cir. 1934)

May? Why not must, if it's 'the law'?

read it again.

My point remains - there's no legal obligation to avoid paying tax.

Over and over again courts have said that there is nothing sinister
in so arranging one's affairs as to keep taxes as low as possible.
Everybody does so, rich or poor; and all do right, for nobody owes
any public duty to pay more than the law demands: taxes are enforced
exactions, not voluntary contributions. To demand more in the name of
morals is mere cant.
Commissioner v. Newman, 159 F.2d 848, 851 (2d Cir. 1947) - dissenting
opinion

Tax *is* a moral construct. There is nothing intrinsic or innate about
tax, and law is a feeble attempt to uphold an ethical position - that
tax is paid on a proportion of profit (in this case).

And using a legal case to underpin a legal argument is hardly the point
at issue. Avoidance is legal. Avoidance is also about moral and ethical
issues. Rationality, if you like.

they're not avoiding anything.

I'd happily revise my opinion in the light of a coherent moral or
ethical position on Apple's behaviour.

doubtful.

Try me :-)

I would argue, quite successfully, that Apple pays nothing like every
tax dollar they should.

you would fail incredibly hard at such an argument.

Give me a decent reason to agree with Apple's position to, say, take
sales in teh UK and not pay tax on those sales and I'll give you a response.

Just internet search "apple tax avoidance" (in quotes if you want - 30k+
hits). It really isn't my argument.

just internet search "flat earth", 11.6 million hits w/o quotes, 7.8
million with.

Apple has been avoiding tax rather more recently. And It's three words.

that's two orders of magnitude higher than apple tax avoidance, so it
*really* must be true.

if number of hits in a search is your metric to validate something,
then you have *far* bigger problems.

apple might not pay what *you* think they should but that's very
different.

Again, it's not just me. I may well be in a minority, but I don't think
I am.

minority/majority isn't the issue.

apple is paying their *legal* tax obligation. period.

Insofar as I understand it, agreed.

paying *more* than what they legally owe is stupid.

do you pay more than what you owe?? do you take deductions?

No and yes.

*you* didn't write the tax code, so what *you* think apple or any other
company should pay is completely irrelevant.

and why single out apple? amazon, who paid nothing compared to the ~11b
that apple paid in fy'17, along with microsoft, facebook, google, cisco
and the rest, all use the tax code to their advantage.

Agreed. They all avoid tax. I'm singling out Apple because they're the
object of discussion. I don't consider them to be the worst by a long chalk.

I avoid tax sometimes, and it's wrong.

then you're a hypocrite.

Indeed. Like just about every other adult.

I really do have a problem with Cook on this, and it's one of the few
occasions where he gets aggressive because he knows he's wrong.

he's not wrong. he's just a whole lot smarter than you are about how to
run a business.

he's wrong in the sense that he's arguing that what he's doing is
morally inconsistent. It isn't, and he knows it.

There's
no need. Apple is a business whose prime aim is the accumulation of
money and shareholder return. Like a lot of business.

like every public corporation and nearly all private ones.

Yep.

Other concerns -
such as workers' protection, tax paid in the spirit of community,
sourcing raw materials sustainably - are secondary. Just say so. People
will still buy Apple.

I know all this and I do.

too bad you don't understand any of it.

In good company it seems :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

RJH April 4th 18 03:46 PM

On 04/04/2018 13:13, Mayayana wrote:
"RJH" wrote

| apple, like other companies as well as individuals, pay the taxes they
| owe, however, they *minimize* it to the extent that the tax code
| allows. in fact, as a public company, they're legally *obligated* to do
| so.
|

| Nonsense.

Hey, give the guy a chance. April 15th is coming
up and it sounds like he knows a legal way to move
all my income to the Cayman Islands, so that I can
"fairly and legally" pay no income tax. After all,
"everyone" avoids taxes if they can, right? This must
be they key to how one buys a $1,200 phone with
a straight face.

You wish :-)

--
Cheers, Rob