PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Camera trashed by LIDAR laser. How about human eyes? (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=131925)

Alfred Molon[_4_] January 13th 19 10:20 AM

Camera trashed by LIDAR laser. How about human eyes?

In article fd27b3e2-f9b8-4049-af66-90504d80c1b0
@googlegroups.com, says...

https://petapixel.com/2019/01/12/man...ing-car-laser/

They claim that the human eye is protected by the cornea
which acts as a filter. I wonder if they could add such
a protection filter (against LIDAR lasers) to digital
cameras.
--
Alfred Molon

Neil[_9_] January 13th 19 02:26 PM

On 1/13/2019 9:08 AM, RichA wrote:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 05:20:22 UTC-5, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article fd27b3e2-f9b8-4049-af66-90504d80c1b0
@googlegroups.com, says...

https://petapixel.com/2019/01/12/man...ing-car-laser/

They claim that the human eye is protected by the cornea
which acts as a filter. I wonder if they could add such
a protection filter (against LIDAR lasers) to digital
cameras.
--
Alfred Molon

I'm still not convinced. So it absorbs the IR before it hits the retina, what's the effect of rapid heating on the cornea? Any IR filter strong enough to screen-out a high-power laser hit will make the camera unusable.

Why would that be? IR is not a range that is normally included in
photographs, so having a removable filter would be a good thing. If
someone was intent on taking IR images, just remove the filter and stop
shooting self-driving cars.

--
best regards,

Neil

nospam January 13th 19 06:53 PM

Camera trashed by LIDAR laser. How about human eyes?

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

They claim that the human eye is protected by the cornea
which acts as a filter. I wonder if they could add such
a protection filter (against LIDAR lasers) to digital
cameras.

if you believe that the cornea acts as a filter, aim a laser into your
eye and report back, or have someone else do so, since you won't be
able to.

nospam January 13th 19 06:53 PM

Camera trashed by LIDAR laser. How about human eyes?

In article , Neil
wrote:

I'm still not convinced. So it absorbs the IR before it hits the retina,
what's the effect of rapid heating on the cornea? Any IR filter strong
enough to screen-out a high-power laser hit will make the camera unusable.

Why would that be? IR is not a range that is normally included in
photographs, so having a removable filter would be a good thing. If
someone was intent on taking IR images, just remove the filter and stop
shooting self-driving cars.

cameras already have an ir cut filter.