PhotoBanter.com

-   -   Are todays LCD screen any good in bright weather (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=105693)

Ken[_5_] April 22nd 09 05:45 PM

Are todays LCD screen any good in bright weather

I have an older Nikon 7900 with 2" screen and even in normal light sometimes
have to take a guess when outside that I have got the subject in frame. I
was thinking of getting a modern digi camera with 2.5 or bigger LCD screen
but only if I feel convinced they are better to use outside. Whats the point
in having to guess the shot???

Anyone with a modern camera with the LCD that will work in brighter
conditions?

Ken

Jürgen Exner April 22nd 09 06:19 PM

"Ken" wrote:
I have an older Nikon 7900 with 2" screen and even in normal light sometimes
have to take a guess when outside that I have got the subject in frame. I
was thinking of getting a modern digi camera with 2.5 or bigger LCD screen
but only if I feel convinced they are better to use outside. Whats the point
in having to guess the shot???

That's what a viewfinder is for. They are becoming a rare breed, but you
can still find them.

jue

Ken[_5_] April 22nd 09 06:39 PM

"Jürgen Exner" wrote in message
"Ken" wrote:
I have an older Nikon 7900 with 2" screen and even in normal light
sometimes
have to take a guess when outside that I have got the subject in frame. I
was thinking of getting a modern digi camera with 2.5 or bigger LCD screen
but only if I feel convinced they are better to use outside. Whats the
point
in having to guess the shot???

That's what a viewfinder is for. They are becoming a rare breed, but you
can still find them.

jue

Sone of the Canons have them but not a wide angle lens I need. My Nikon 7900
has a viewfinder but with only a 75% of what you see is what you get. So I
end up using it and cropping in the software to get what I need for my idea
of the right composition.

Ken

Charles[_2_] April 22nd 09 11:17 PM

"Ken" wrote in message
I have an older Nikon 7900 with 2" screen and even in normal light
sometimes have to take a guess when outside that I have got the subject in
frame. I was thinking of getting a modern digi camera with 2.5 or bigger
LCD screen but only if I feel convinced they are better to use outside.
Whats the point in having to guess the shot???

Anyone with a modern camera with the LCD that will work in brighter
conditions?

LCDs are terrible in outside bright light.

Alfred Molon[_4_] April 22nd 09 11:28 PM

Are todays LCD screen any good in bright weather

In article , Ken says ...
I have an older Nikon 7900 with 2" screen and even in normal light sometimes
have to take a guess when outside that I have got the subject in frame. I
was thinking of getting a modern digi camera with 2.5 or bigger LCD screen
but only if I feel convinced they are better to use outside. Whats the point
in having to guess the shot???

Anyone with a modern camera with the LCD that will work in brighter
conditions?

The LCD of the Sony R1 works fine even in the brightest daylight, even
with the midday sun shining on it. On the other hand the LCD of the Sony
A350 (a DSLR) performs quite poorly in bright light.
--

Alfred Molon

Stormin Mormon April 23rd 09 01:22 AM

Are todays LCD screen any good in bright weather

Much the same problem, here. Sometimes when it's really bad,
I use my ball cap, or my jacket to shade the screen a bit.
Like the old guys with the 4 x 5 view cameras used to do.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Bob Williams April 23rd 09 06:09 AM

Ken wrote:
I have an older Nikon 7900 with 2" screen and even in normal light
sometimes have to take a guess when outside that I have got the subject
in frame. I was thinking of getting a modern digi camera with 2.5 or
bigger LCD screen but only if I feel convinced they are better to use
outside. Whats the point in having to guess the shot???

Anyone with a modern camera with the LCD that will work in brighter
conditions?

Ken

You may want to consider a camera with an EVF (Electronic View
Finder)such as one of the Panasonic FZ series.
They show 100% of what the sensor captures. NO guess work at all!
You can crop exactly how you want the image to look. Not having to crop
later, effectively gives you more pixels to use in the image itself.
The FZ-50 is Panny's Flagship entry in the big zoom competition.
It isn't pocketable by any means but it is incredibly versatile and puts
you in charge of most photographic situations.
Like ALL small sensor cameras, it suffers a bit in very low light level
situations. But IMHO, its benefits far outweigh this shortcoming.
Bob Williams

David J Taylor[_11_] April 23rd 09 08:39 AM

Are todays LCD screen any good in bright weather

Charles wrote:
[]
LCDs are terrible in outside bright light.

You haven't seen a transreflective LCD, have you?

David

J. Clarke April 23rd 09 12:17 PM

"Ken" wrote:
I have an older Nikon 7900 with 2" screen and even in normal light
sometimes
have to take a guess when outside that I have got the subject in
frame. I was thinking of getting a modern digi camera with 2.5 or
bigger LCD screen but only if I feel convinced they are better to
use outside. Whats the point
in having to guess the shot???

That's what a viewfinder is for. They are becoming a rare breed, but
you can still find them.

jue

Sone of the Canons have them but not a wide angle lens I need. My
Nikon 7900 has a viewfinder but with only a 75% of what you see is
what you get. So I end up using it and cropping in the software to
get what I need for my idea of the right composition.

How wide do you need to go? The 7900 has 38mm equivalent. A Canon G10 goes
to 28mm equivalent, which is a great deal wider, but still has the 77% or so
optical finder. You might want to look into something like an SX10IS, which
has an eye-level LCD that works fine in sunlight and a lens that goes to
28mm equivalent.

Alternatively, just get yourself a DSLR and whatever wide angle you need and
be done with it.

Chris Malcolm[_2_] April 23rd 09 02:20 PM

Ken wrote:
I have an older Nikon 7900 with 2" screen and even in normal light sometimes
have to take a guess when outside that I have got the subject in frame. I
was thinking of getting a modern digi camera with 2.5 or bigger LCD screen
but only if I feel convinced they are better to use outside. Whats the point
in having to guess the shot???

Anyone with a modern camera with the LCD that will work in brighter
conditions?

I haven't, but my camera also has a live view video output, so with a
piece of wire and a portable LCD monitor which is easily viewable in
bright sunlight (and devours batteries :-) I can use live view in the
sun.

But I mostly use it as a way of seeing the live view when I'm several
feet away from the camera. For simple holiday snaphot portability a
small folding black umbrella keeps both rain and sun off the camera.

--
Chris Malcolm