PhotoBanter.com

-   -   !External computer monitor as viewfinder (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=78385)

No Name March 13th 07 08:59 PM

!External computer monitor as viewfinder

The cute little LCD display on the back of a digital camera is convenient,
but it doesn't allow for careful inspection of picture quality. Are there
any cameras with a jack for connecting a 19" computer monitor to a camera
intended for studio use?

Norm Strong

irwell March 13th 07 10:44 PM

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:59:17 -0700, wrote:

The cute little LCD display on the back of a digital camera is convenient,
but it doesn't allow for careful inspection of picture quality. Are there
any cameras with a jack for connecting a 19" computer monitor to a camera
intended for studio use?

Norm Strong

Most cameras have a video out socket.
A Video converter like the Datavideo DAC-100 would get the picture
out to the monitor.

Ståle Sannerud March 14th 07 10:59 AM

!External computer monitor as viewfinder

wrote in message
. ..
The cute little LCD display on the back of a digital camera is convenient,
but it doesn't allow for careful inspection of picture quality. Are there
any cameras with a jack for connecting a 19" computer monitor to a camera
intended for studio use?

Canon 1Dmk3. Coming soon to a camera shop near you.

Bruce Patis March 15th 07 09:04 AM

!External computer monitor as viewfinder

On Tue, 13 Mar 2007 12:59:17 -0700, wrote:

The cute little LCD display on the back of a digital camera is convenient,
but it doesn't allow for careful inspection of picture quality. Are there
any cameras with a jack for connecting a 19" computer monitor to a camera
intended for studio use?

Norm Strong

Most digital cameras have a video output and some even give you the
choice of NTSC or PAL signal format. So, although a video converter,
as previously mentioned, can convert a video signal to a format used
by a computer monitor, the simplest approach is to connect a "video"
monitor to the camera. I've done that myself, especially when I had
to position the camera in an odd location and I couldn't see its
built-in, non-tilting monitor on the back. Of course, neither the
built-in monitor nor an external one will work as a viewfinder if the
camera is an SLR that does not have a live preview feature.

BTW, many TVs (as well as a few computer monitors) have a video input
jack that will work, too. Also, for indoor use, even a large, heavy,
relatively immobile TV is easy to see at a distance. You just need a
long video extension cable connected to the one that came with the
camera. In fact, for a photo of a group of people, if the TV is
located behind the camera, they will often pose better because they
can see themselves as the camera sees them.

Bruce

Randy Berbaum March 15th 07 10:38 AM

Bruce Patis wrote:

[...]

I agree that when taking a group photo (like a family photo) a standard TV
monitor to the side of the camera so the subjects can see the photo (even
with an SLR) that you just shot. Especially when you have impatient
children who can not be restrained from rushing to the camera to see the
just shot photo. If they can see it without having to move from the spot
it is easier to take several takes to choose the best (for the family
x-mas card). :)

BTW, there is at least one solution to the inability to use a TV monitor
as a viewfinder for an SLR. One solution I have seen is a product that
clips to the optical viewfinder of an SLR and provides a tilt screen and a
live video feed from the viewfinder. I have not tried it personally, and I
have no connection with the company, but if this is a problem you might
see if the Zigview would help. And I have no idea if there are other
similar devices so do a search. One reason this item has caught my eye is
a silly idea. I've imagined using a live feed going into one of those
video visors to allow me to have the camera in any location and using a
remote shutter release I could shoot at will. For example put the camera
on a 10' pole and shoot images from a second story window of a building
that isn't there. Sure would make crowds at parades and such a non issue.
:)

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Ray Fischer March 15th 07 06:19 PM

wrote:
The cute little LCD display on the back of a digital camera is convenient,
but it doesn't allow for careful inspection of picture quality. Are there
any cameras with a jack for connecting a 19" computer monitor to a camera
intended for studio use?

Many cameras have a video output, but the resolution is so low that
it's really not useful for anything but entertainment.

You want an output for a computer monitor that can display the full
resolution of the image. Such monitors are rare and extremely
expensive, and the eletronics to display that much information is
expensive and sucks power. Think of a computer video card. Then you
have to be able to shovel the data from the sensor to the display at a
really high data rate.

The short answer is no, there are not.

--
Ray Fischer