PhotoBanter.com

-   In The Darkroom (http://www.photobanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Borax granular vs 20 Mule Team (http://www.photobanter.com/showthread.php?t=105813)

Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com April 28th 09 12:17 PM

Borax granular vs 20 Mule Team

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 07:56:11 -0700 (PDT), Lew
wrote:

Are these the same? I'm looking for the 3 grams specified for the
Microphen substitute in Darkroom CB.

April 28, 2009, from Lloyd Erlick,

Watch out for anhydrous borax. I foolishly
bought a large bag of it many years ago, just
because the price was attractive.

Anhydrous borax dissolves in water so slowly
we will all die of old age waiting. I could
find no additional chemicals that made it
dissolve fully. It's a nice white powder that
you can pour on the ground to mark your path.

regards,
--le
________________________________
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com
telephone: 416-686-0326
email:
________________________________

Richard Knoppow April 29th 09 12:50 AM

wrote:

Are these the same? I'm looking for the 3 grams specified
for the
Microphen substitute in Darkroom CB.

April 28, 2009, from Lloyd Erlick,

Watch out for anhydrous borax. I foolishly
bought a large bag of it many years ago, just
because the price was attractive.

Anhydrous borax dissolves in water so slowly
we will all die of old age waiting. I could
find no additional chemicals that made it
dissolve fully. It's a nice white powder that
you can pour on the ground to mark your path.

regards,
--le
--

Kodak used to include a warning about this along with
its formulas calling for Borax. It stated that only

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jean-David Beyer April 29th 09 01:08 AM

wrote:

Are these the same? I'm looking for the 3 grams specified
for the
Microphen substitute in Darkroom CB.

April 28, 2009, from Lloyd Erlick,

Watch out for anhydrous borax. I foolishly
bought a large bag of it many years ago, just
because the price was attractive.

Anhydrous borax dissolves in water so slowly
we will all die of old age waiting. I could
find no additional chemicals that made it
dissolve fully. It's a nice white powder that
you can pour on the ground to mark your path.

regards,
--le
--

Kodak used to include a warning about this along with
its formulas calling for Borax. It stated that only
granulated Borax should be used "because powdered Borax
dissolves only with great difficulty."

I thought they said that about boric acid, not borax.
It may be true for both.

^^-^^ 20:05:01 up 35 days, 2:19, 3 users, load average: 4.39, 4.34, 4.37

Lloyd at @the-wire. dot com April 29th 09 01:09 PM

Borax granular vs 20 Mule Team

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 16:50:14 -0700, "Richard
Knoppow" wrote:

April 28, 2009, from Lloyd Erlick,

Watch out for anhydrous borax. I foolishly
bought a large bag of it many years ago, just
because the price was attractive.

Anhydrous borax dissolves in water so slowly
we will all die of old age waiting. I could
find no additional chemicals that made it
dissolve fully.

Kodak used to include a warning about this along with
its formulas calling for Borax. It stated that only
granulated Borax should be used "because powdered Borax
dissolves only with great difficulty."

April 29, 2009, from Lloyd Erlick,

I bet a lot of people have been perplexed by
the difference between granulated and
powdered!
--le

Nicholas O. Lindan April 30th 09 01:13 AM

Borax granular vs 20 Mule Team

"Jean-David Beyer" wrote

I thought they said that about boric acid

They sell the 'wrong sort' of Boric Acid as roach powder.
I found it will dissolve in boiling water. In cold water
one may as well be trying to dissolve sand.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Richard Knoppow April 30th 09 06:35 PM

wrote:

[...]

You are right, my memory is slowly slipping away. Its
Boric acid.

Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA

Keith Tapscott. September 5th 09 10:32 PM

The borax I use is the decahydrate-form.