PDA

View Full Version : Re: Vivitar 283 Flash Questions

Mike King
November 13th 03, 02:45 PM
Aren't these the guide numbers you need? For 1/2 power open up one stop
(i.e. the guide number would go from 160 to 110 as in f/16 to f/11--if the
full power g.n. is 100 1/2 power is 100/1.414 about 70 (the 1.414 is the
square root of 2--just like f/stops). 1/4 power is two stops g.n would be
50, etc.

--
darkroommike

----------
"Phil Duff" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:51:19 +0000 (UTC),
> > wrote:
>
> >In rec.photo.equipment.medium-format Mark Stephen
> wrote:
> >: I just picked up a Vivitar 283 strobe to use with my Yashicamat 124G
> >: and have a couple of questions.
>
> We have a pair of 285HV's. I also have a question about the 283 and
> particularly the 285HV Vivitars:
>
> Anyone know or measured the guide numbers for the Manual settings (M,
> 1/2, 1/4,1/16) with ISO100 @ 10ft. (or other distances, ISOs?)
>
> The manual isn't helpful. Only has guide numbers for the different
> reflector settings.

Mike King
November 13th 03, 02:45 PM
Shoot the thing on automatic.

--
darkroommike

----------
"bill martin" > wrote in message
> Neat! I would never have thought of that. Do you have any suggestion
> about how many f stops you lose with this setup? Thanks for the info.
>
> Slavko Eror wrote:
> > The cheapest softbox: Use a Bounty paper towel. A single square roll is
> > ideal. Put each corner on all four sides of your flash and secure with
an
> > elastic. This creates a fairly large "dome" around the flash head and
> > diffuses light really well.
> >

> > "Mark Stephen" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >
> >>I just picked up a Vivitar 283 strobe to use with my Yashicamat 124G
> >>and have a couple of questions.
> >>
> >>First, the flash has no PC cord. I am going to order some film and
> >>stuff from B&H, can I just buy a cheap Male to Female 12" PC cord,
> >>will that work ?
> >>
> >>Second, can anyone recommend a cheap soft box or diffuser to use with
> >>the unit ?
> >>
> >>If anyone has a PC cord and softbox/diffuser for a 283 they want to
> >>sell, let me know.
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Mark.

Mike King
November 13th 03, 02:47 PM
I point the flash at the ceiling and bounce it. Or if the ceiling is 50
feet in the air I attach a piece of white paper to the flash and bend it at
45 degrees. Wivitar used to make a BD-1 bounce diffuser that attached to
the flash and did the same thing, I never spent the $20.

--
darkroommike

----------
"Mark Stephen" > wrote in message
om...
> I just picked up a Vivitar 283 strobe to use with my Yashicamat 124G
> and have a couple of questions.
>
> First, the flash has no PC cord. I am going to order some film and
> stuff from B&H, can I just buy a cheap Male to Female 12" PC cord,
> will that work ?
>
> Second, can anyone recommend a cheap soft box or diffuser to use with
> the unit ?
>
> If anyone has a PC cord and softbox/diffuser for a 283 they want to
> sell, let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark.

Mike King
November 13th 03, 02:49 PM
PC-1 one foot cheapie, PC-31 coiled 31" cord--better, Paramount Cords also
available with the Vivitar end. You'll NEVER wear out a Paramount cord.
But buy a spare anyway!!

--
darkroommike

----------
"Mark Stephen" > wrote in message
om...
> I just picked up a Vivitar 283 strobe to use with my Yashicamat 124G
> and have a couple of questions.
>
> First, the flash has no PC cord. I am going to order some film and
> stuff from B&H, can I just buy a cheap Male to Female 12" PC cord,
> will that work ?
>
> Second, can anyone recommend a cheap soft box or diffuser to use with
> the unit ?
>
> If anyone has a PC cord and softbox/diffuser for a 283 they want to
> sell, let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark.

Mike King
November 13th 03, 02:51 PM
Even the low voltage 283 has enough voltage to "fry" a sensitive camera like
a Canon EOS or most any digital, WEIN makes a gadget called a safe-synch
that will isolate and protect your camera from the voltage. Also good if
you are using an older studio flash rig, though I always use a small, safe!,
flash on camera to trip my studio packs.

--
darkroommike

----------
"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" > wrote in message
> In article >, Scott Wuerch wrote:
>
> > Mark Stephen wrote:
> >
> >> I just picked up a Vivitar 283 strobe to use with my Yashicamat 124G
> >> and have a couple of questions.
> >>
> >> First, the flash has no PC cord. I am going to order some film and
> >> stuff from B&H, can I just buy a cheap Male to Female 12" PC cord,
> >> will that work ?
> >
> > You must buy a PC to Vivtar cord. Do your self a favor and buy a good
PC
> > cable. I use either Vivtar or Paramount. Paramount is my first choice.
>
> I second that motion. Paramount makes IMHO the best cords around. While
> you are ordering it, get the "PC plug" tool that they sell. If you bend
the
> pin or the things around it, this tool will help you get a good fit.
>
> Be careful with the flash cord. Some of the 283's had a high voltage
> (about 180v) trigger circuit. It will work fine on your Mat124g, but
> it may leave you with some "shocking experiences" if you are not carefull
> handeling the sync cord.
>
> Even if the flash is turned off, there may be residual voltage on the
> trigger circuit. If you're handy with a voltmeter, you can test it.
> If you were lucky enough to get the original box, look on the end.
> If there is a black dot near to the model number, it is a low voltage
> unit.
>

> --
> Geoffrey S. Mendelson 972-54-608-069
> Icq/AIM Uin: 2661079 MSN IM: (Not for