PDA

View Full Version : Buying in the USA

daveo 56
November 16th 04, 08:21 PM
Hi I will be travelling to Florida from the UK soon & was thinking of
buying a fairly basic digital camera over there. Apart from possible
warranty problems can any of you good folks think of any reasons why
this might be a bad idea?
....thanks....

Alan
November 16th 04, 08:27 PM
"daveo 56" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi I will be travelling to Florida from the UK soon & was thinking of
> buying a fairly basic digital camera over there. Apart from possible
> warranty problems can any of you good folks think of any reasons why
> this might be a bad idea?
> ...thanks....
Only thing I can think of is some jobsworth Customs bloke getting on his
high horse .. bear in mind if there's any electrical bits with it you'll
need a voltage converter thingymajig when you get back .. apart from that go
for it !!! you usually get more for your money buying out there so you'll
probably end up with a little more than a "fairly basic" model :)

Al

Robert Klemme
November 17th 04, 01:45 PM
"Gisle Hannemyr" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> "Alan" > writes:
>
> > bear in mind if there's any electrical bits with it you'll need a
> > voltage converter thingymajig when you get back
>
> I haven't seen a charger that is /not/ labeled "110-240 volts" in
> ages. Modern electronics are designed so that one size fits the
> entire world.

.... apart from the plug maybe.

Another advice: I'd try to check out prices beforehand so you get a good
judgement whether it's a good buy or not. Also note that US price tags
usually go without tax, which is different from what we do over here (at
least in Germany, but I believe it's the same for other european
countries).

Kind regards

robert

zach
November 17th 04, 08:42 PM
"Alan" > wrote in message >...
> "daveo 56" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Hi I will be travelling to Florida from the UK soon & was thinking of
> > buying a fairly basic digital camera over there. Apart from possible
> > warranty problems can any of you good folks think of any reasons why
> > this might be a bad idea?
> > ...thanks....
> Only thing I can think of is some jobsworth Customs bloke getting on his
> high horse .. bear in mind if there's any electrical bits with it you'll
> need a voltage converter thingymajig when you get back .. apart from that go
> for it !!! you usually get more for your money buying out there so you'll
> probably end up with a little more than a "fairly basic" model :)

Do you plug your digital camera into the wall outlet?

JohanE
November 18th 04, 07:22 AM
"Gisle Hannemyr" > wrote in message
> "Alan" > writes:
>
>> bear in mind if there's any electrical bits with it you'll need a
>> voltage converter thingymajig when you get back
>
> I haven't seen a charger that is /not/ labeled "110-240 volts" in
> ages. Modern electronics are designed so that one size fits the
> entire world.

For equipment bought in Europe, that is usually correct. When you get one in
the US, my experience is you get a *110V only* most of the time.....

JohanE

Charles
November 18th 04, 10:11 AM
In article >, JohanE > wrote:

> For equipment bought in Europe, that is usually correct. When you get one in
> the US, my experience is you get a *110V only* most of the time.....

My experience is that you get a 110-240 volt charger. I just got a
Canon SD-300 Digital Elph a few days ago (IXUS 40 in Europe). It came
with a 110-240v.

--
Charles

MartinS
December 21st 04, 10:55 PM
(daveo 56) wrote:

> Hi I will be travelling to Florida from the UK soon & was thinking of
> buying a fairly basic digital camera over there. Apart from possible
> warranty problems can any of you good folks think of any reasons why
> this might be a bad idea?
> ...thanks....

Can't think of any off-hand, apart from the warranty issue, which may be
a non-issue on a "basic" camera.

--
Martin S.