PDA

View Full Version : Comparing 11x14 to 8x10

Collin Brendemuehl
March 31st 04, 04:18 PM
I realize the equipment cost is almost exponential. :O
But is 11x14 more or less work than 8x10 in these respects ...
1. Dodge/burn contact prints
2. General film handling and processing

Any other thoughts on the matter?

TIA,

Collin
KC8TKA

Tom Ferguson
March 31st 04, 05:05 PM
I'll add my "personal" opinion. I moved from 4x5 to 8x10 easily. When I
added an 11x14 it was MUCH harder to work. Everything with the 11x14
from loading film to handling the camera seemed far more difficult than
8x10. Was it "worth it", yes! I love 11x14 alt prints. Was it a simple
friendly change, no I struggled a bit!

In article >, Collin
Brendemuehl > wrote:

> I realize the equipment cost is almost exponential. :O
> But is 11x14 more or less work than 8x10 in these respects ...
> 1. Dodge/burn contact prints
> 2. General film handling and processing
>
> Any other thoughts on the matter?
>
> TIA,
>
> Collin
> KC8TKA

Jim Hemenway
April 1st 04, 09:29 PM
11x14 is only a little more work than is 8x10. I have both and haven't
used the 8x10 for over a year.

No company makes 11x14 color any longer. It's sometimes listed,
(Adorama and B&H come to mind) but they can't really get it.

So, I have a freezer half full of Ektachrome 100 vintage 2002.

Here's some of the results:

http://www.hemenway.com/11x14/images/TwistedTree-Symmar-S-360mm.jpg

http://www.hemenway.com/USS-Salem-Schneider360.jpg

http://www.hemenway.com/CharlesRiverProtar590.jpg

http://www.hemenway.com/NubbleIslandLighthouse.jpg

Jim Hemenway

Collin Brendemuehl wrote:

> I realize the equipment cost is almost exponential. :O
> But is 11x14 more or less work than 8x10 in these respects ...
> 1. Dodge/burn contact prints
> 2. General film handling and processing
>
> Any other thoughts on the matter?
>
> TIA,
>
> Collin
> KC8TKA

jjs
April 1st 04, 09:35 PM
"Jim Hemenway" > wrote in message

> http://www.hemenway.com/USS-Salem-Schneider360.jpg

I remember that one in particular as showing how the LF difference can
actually show on the Web. A great print and scan.

Jim Hemenway
April 2nd 04, 08:33 PM
Thank you!

The warm weather will be here soon and I'll be out with the Korona. I'd
like to get one or two of the USS Constitution but I don't know if
Homeland Security will let me in.

--

Jim - http://www.hemenway.com

jjs wrote:

> "Jim Hemenway" > wrote in message
>

>>http://www.hemenway.com/USS-Salem-Schneider360.jpg
>

> I remember that one in particular as showing how the LF difference can
> actually show on the Web. A great print and scan.

Tom Monego
April 5th 04, 05:35 PM
In article >, says...

>Thank you!
>
>The warm weather will be here soon and I'll be out with the Korona. I'd
>like to get one or two of the USS Constitution but I don't know if
>Homeland Security will let me in.

I believe the tours are on again.

Tom

brian
April 6th 04, 03:59 PM
(Collin Brendemuehl) wrote in message >...
> I realize the equipment cost is almost exponential. :O
> But is 11x14 more or less work than 8x10 in these respects ...
> 1. Dodge/burn contact prints
> 2. General film handling and processing
>
> Any other thoughts on the matter?
>
> TIA,
>
> Collin
> KC8TKA

The real hard part about 11x14 is carrying the stuff around in the
field, which can be comically difficult. Working in the darkroom with
it is an entirely different matter. I generally only developed one or
two sheets at at time in trays, and I used two hands for agitating and
transferring, but the level difficulty (or lack thereof) was very
similar to 8x10. I always found dodging and burning of 11x14 contact
prints to be slightly easier than 8x10 just because I could be a
little more precise.

Brian
www.caldwellphotographic.com