PDA

View Full Version : Using a rollfilm back on my Crown Graphic

Stacey
March 21st 04, 02:28 AM
Larry Raisch wrote:

> I have a 6x7 roll film back for my 4x5 Crown Graphic and would like to
> know what viewfinder mask I should use.

I made one from black construction paper using the roll back as a pattern.
--

Stacey

Larry Raisch
March 21st 04, 07:02 AM
I have a 6x7 roll film back for my 4x5 Crown Graphic and would like to
know what viewfinder mask I should use. Sorry if this is a very
obvious point, but I assume I will need a mask to match the coverage
of the roll film back.

Robert Feinman
March 21st 04, 03:00 PM
In article >,
says...
> I have a 6x7 roll film back for my 4x5 Crown Graphic and would like to
> know what viewfinder mask I should use. Sorry if this is a very
> obvious point, but I assume I will need a mask to match the coverage
> of the roll film back.

If you are neat you can draw one on the glass with a grease pencil.
That way you can also see what is slightly outside the frame.

--
Robert D Feinman
http://robertdfeinman.com

Nicholas O. Lindan
March 21st 04, 03:12 PM
"Larry Raisch" > wrote
> I have a 6x7 roll film back for my 4x5 Crown Graphic and would like to
> know what viewfinder mask I should use.

My Speed came with a 6x7 homemade mask: some previous owner had applied
thin red transparent tape across the front VF lens. The type of tape used
for preparing artwork for printed circuit boards. I haven't seen any
for some 20 years -- it may still be an art-supply item. This particular
tape is good as not only is it transparent but it is also repositionable
for pretty much forever. I imagine the tape was attached so it lined up
with the location of the holder as seen through the GG.

My Speed has a little slot in the top of the finder for masks. It would
be possible to slide out the 4x5 one and with a ruler scale a 6x7cm mask
from the size of the 4x5" mask. Cut it out of a 3x5 index card, color as
appropriate and slip it in.

You could also take a picture of a white 6x7 rectangle against
a black/red/grey background at a distance that it makes the right size
image on a Kodachrome slide, cut out of the mount, slip in.

India ink and a ruling pen on clear drafting Mylar.

Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio

Tom
March 21st 04, 06:31 PM
That depends on what lens you have. There is a article on www.graflex.org that
tells which mask works with which lens and format size.

OK, I just checked its http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/viewfinder-masks.html

Unfortunately it does not show the ones for 6x7 which did not come out until the
60's. IIRC, they would be 18, 19, 20, but don't hold me to that. There is also a
clear plastic gaget that fits into the sports finder that shows the 6x7 frames,
it was made for the Super Graphic so has both horizontal and vertical frames.

Larry Raisch wrote:
> I have a 6x7 roll film back for my 4x5 Crown Graphic and would like to
> know what viewfinder mask I should use. Sorry if this is a very
> obvious point, but I assume I will need a mask to match the coverage
> of the roll film back.

Alecj
March 22nd 04, 02:43 AM
Tom is right - first you choose the lens to be used.

Re: 6x7 - I'm pretty sure there were never any masks made specifically for
6x7. All I've ever seen were for 6x9.

None of the charts in Graphic Graflex Photography, 11th Ed. show that
format.

"Tom" <tom@localhost> wrote in message
> That depends on what lens you have. There is a article on www.graflex.org
that
> tells which mask works with which lens and format size.
>
> OK, I just checked its
http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/viewfinder-masks.html

> Unfortunately it does not show the ones for 6x7 which did not come out
until the
> 60's. IIRC, they would be 18, 19, 20, but don't hold me to that. There is
also a
> clear plastic gaget that fits into the sports finder that shows the 6x7
frames,
> it was made for the Super Graphic so has both horizontal and vertical
frames.

> Larry Raisch wrote:
> > I have a 6x7 roll film back for my 4x5 Crown Graphic and would like to
> > know what viewfinder mask I should use. Sorry if this is a very
> > obvious point, but I assume I will need a mask to match the coverage
> > of the roll film back.

Larry Raisch
March 22nd 04, 06:04 PM
Thanks for all of the helpful replies!