PDA

View Full Version : Family Groups

Jack
March 2nd 04, 09:49 AM
Wedding photography is very specialized

How do photographers manage large family groups?

Is the best policy to "arrange them" according to size etc.

or is it best not to mix in and leave it up to the group to arrange
themselves according to their own family politics, hierarchy.

What's best, any ideas?

Best wishes

Phil Tobias
March 3rd 04, 12:55 AM
>>Is the best policy to "arrange them" according to size etc.
or is it best not to mix in and leave it up to the group to arrange
themselves according to their own family politics, hierarchy.

There's no best answer. However, most groups will need leadership from the
photographer to end up in a decent looking arrangement.
The overall group needs some sort of symmetry, whether that's tallest in the
middle or on each end. Within the group, I often try to keep family members
together as best possible, though you may need to split up the children and sit
some in front.
You may also need to group or hide some people depending on what they are
wearing, such as alternating lights and darks. Or mercifully hiding heavier
waistlines behind someone else.
I usually start with a couple segments of the group. Once they're arranged,
start adding missing pieces and filling in the shape.
Use variety in posing. Stand some, sit others, kneel some on one knee, sit or
lay others in front. Use your imagination.
And in the meantime, study all the group photos you can come across.

Good luck. ...pt

-------------------------------
Business/Communications start at http://www.PhilipTobias.com.
Grow your business using my technical and marketing communications -
Effective writing, graphic design, multimedia, photos, and Web sites.

Jack
March 3rd 04, 12:03 PM
Thanks Phil
"Phil Tobias" > wrote in message
> >>Is the best policy to "arrange them" according to size etc.
> or is it best not to mix in and leave it up to the group to arrange
> themselves according to their own family politics, hierarchy.
>
> There's no best answer. However, most groups will need leadership from the
> photographer to end up in a decent looking arrangement.
> The overall group needs some sort of symmetry, whether that's tallest in
the
> middle or on each end. Within the group, I often try to keep family
members
> together as best possible, though you may need to split up the children
and sit
> some in front.
> You may also need to group or hide some people depending on what they are
> wearing, such as alternating lights and darks. Or mercifully hiding
heavier
> waistlines behind someone else.
> I usually start with a couple segments of the group. Once they're
arranged,
> start adding missing pieces and filling in the shape.
> Use variety in posing. Stand some, sit others, kneel some on one knee, sit
or
> lay others in front. Use your imagination.
> And in the meantime, study all the group photos you can come across.
>
> Good luck. ...pt
>

> -------------------------------
> Business/Communications start at http://www.PhilipTobias.com.
> Grow your business using my technical and marketing communications -
> Effective writing, graphic design, multimedia, photos, and Web sites.

konabear
March 9th 04, 01:32 AM
You mention weddings and families. I'll assume you're talking family
groupings during wedding day shoots. Some things I do...

1) If more than 4 people I try to get these groups at the church. Why?
- too many distractions at the reception
- kids get tired later in the day
- but mainly,
+ the church sanctuary usually offers a better background than the hall
+ the church usually offers steps for different levels
+ the church offers a long aisle to back up to get everyone in.

2) If working in the church the photographer's leadership is very important.
Time is usually limited.

3) In family groupings it is often customary to place the matriarch of the
clan in the center, and to allow her to sit. Given a wedding day, placing
the bride in the center and or seated is often forgivable as its her day.
Sitting the bride and or groom in the middle also has a few other
advantages. She's usually been standing a long time already and will
appreciate the rest. Once seated she's not as likely to wonder off for a
second to talk to her best friend from high school. Being seated it offers
one more level.

4) In addition to symmetry mentioned elsewhere, try to avoid human totem
poles of heads. If one head is direct above another from the vantage point
of the camera, then move someone to avoid it.

5) Be careful moving back if your flash is directly on the camera. The
further back you go the greater risk of red eye. Flash bracket that hold
the flash further from the lens are a must as the distance gets to 10-15
feet. The flash aligned above the lens rather to one side is more effective
as the shadows then fall behind the subjects rather then noticeably to the
side.

6) I avoid shooting single level rows of people. I shoot weddings with 35mm.
Long rows vs. multi levels mean I have to move back further, which results
in smaller heads on the film. People pictures are about expressions, so
larger had sizes on film mean the better ability to see expression. The
expectation to larger head rule is full length pictures of the bride, the
bride and groom, and arguable the groom. Of course you'll be getting
various

7) Work quickly. Those all important expressions get dour the longer each
picture takes. Meeting and learning as many names as possible makes it
easier to make quick small adjustments to the groupings. (Though is also
can cause some disillusionment later. A maid of honor once spotted me at a
bar. She dragged her pal over to "the photographer that remembered all
those names" and I couldn't even tell her which wedding she'd been in, let
alone her name. ;) )

Todd
"Jack" > wrote in message
> Wedding photography is very specialized
>
> How do photographers manage large family groups?
>
> Is the best policy to "arrange them" according to size etc.
>
> or is it best not to mix in and leave it up to the group to arrange
> themselves according to their own family politics, hierarchy.
>
> What's best, any ideas?
>
> Best wishes

otzi
March 9th 04, 05:02 AM
*The flash aligned above the lens rather to one side is more effective as
the shadows then *fall behind the subjects rather then noticeably to the
side.

Konabear's response is right on. Read it and take note. It's universal
applying in AU also.

For hand held shooting where formats are alternating a flash at 45* ie Metz
60 (45) will offer this. Please avoid side flash at or below eye level.
(spooky)

Hint: Try writing names on first aid white type sticky on the back of your
camera. Comes off easy.
Hint: Let the big groups organize them selves, you will never beat them,
for some won't even want to be in the picture. Just don't be afraid to keep
the group spread in check. For heights and levels try sitting, kneeling,
squatting younger (males) of the group in the front. Any babies being held
will want to be seen so ensure they are rotated to camera
Hint: Get Bride to furnish list of *Key* names and key wanted social group
photos. Hint: Have her organize a bossy person, preferably a woman to
search for and organize groups of this list. They will love the opportunity
to be heard, and you will find practically all weddings will have such a
person lurking. Lets you get on with your job and the next lot are waiting
ready. ( Time saving tell her). Or you run the risk of tearing around
biting tyres, soon loosing your *professional* creditability in their eyes.
Hint: Ask if there have been any recent bereavements, Nothings more downer
that asking out loud for the ??? when they've just died. Trust me, not
conducive to voluminous photo sales.
Hint: Putt girl friends/spouses with partners. Only splitting brides/grooms
direct parents, one either side.
Hint: Think through you game plan. ie order of photography, full length
bride 1/2 bride -- ditto both, adding her parents, his parents, then both
etc,etc. It's so easy to stuff up forgetting a key pose it you are not
accustomed to the bun fight. AND write it down to log it in your head.

Good luck happy shooting. Oh, if you are shooting digital and choose to
offer display at reception, DO delete all less than good shots first.
Remember people don't like to see themselves look silly or unglamorous. You
will be judged on your worst shot.

Jack
March 22nd 04, 01:56 PM
You will be judged on your worst shot.