PDA

View Full Version : xtol for 4x5 or what is best

Gary Banuk
February 21st 04, 09:02 PM
I am just getting back into 4x5 after many years and would like to
know what is a good developer for this film (TMAX 100)?

Any thoughts

Reciprocity Failure
February 21st 04, 09:41 PM
D76 is a good choice. I develop T Max 100 with it at 1-1, 75 degrees,
contstant agitation. Not that my times will necessarily be yours but FWIW my
N time is 6 minutes 15 seconds, N - 1 is 5 minutes, N+1 is 7 minutes 45
seconds, N - 2 is 4 minutes, N+2 is 11 minutes.

"Gary Banuk" > wrote in message
> I am just getting back into 4x5 after many years and would like to
> know what is a good developer for this film (TMAX 100)?
>
> Any thoughts

Msherck
February 21st 04, 11:04 PM
>I am just getting back into 4x5 after many years and would like to
>know what is a good developer for this film (TMAX 100)?

My preference is Kodak's T-Max RS, per the instructions, 8 mins. I like the
tonality and crispness -- it seems to bring out the best in the TMX film.

mjs
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
C program run. C program crash. C programmer quit.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Frank Pittel
February 23rd 04, 05:00 AM
Gary Banuk > wrote:
: I am just getting back into 4x5 after many years and would like to
: know what is a good developer for this film (TMAX 100)?

I'm partial to Tmax-rs. Dilute 1:9 and use at 75 degrees.

-------------------

Gary Banuk
February 24th 04, 01:35 AM
I thought that Tmax was not recommended for 4x5.

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:00:03 -0600, Frank Pittel
> wrote:

>Gary Banuk > wrote:
>: I am just getting back into 4x5 after many years and would like to
>: know what is a good developer for this film (TMAX 100)?
>
>I'm partial to Tmax-rs. Dilute 1:9 and use at 75 degrees.

Frank Pittel
February 24th 04, 01:51 AM
Gary Banuk > wrote:
: I thought that Tmax was not recommended for 4x5.

That's correct. Not only is it not recommended Kodak comes right out says
that Tmax shouldn't be used at all wit sheet film. They have another
developer called Tmax-rs which is recommended for use with sheet film.

I personally use Tmax for roll film and Tmax-rs for sheet film. Most people
I know use Tmax-rs for both. This is to minimize the number of developers/chemicals
they keep around the house. I however prefer Tmax over Tmax-rs so I use it where
I can.

: > wrote:

: >Gary Banuk > wrote:
: >: I am just getting back into 4x5 after many years and would like to
: >: know what is a good developer for this film (TMAX 100)?
: >
: >I'm partial to Tmax-rs. Dilute 1:9 and use at 75 degrees.

-------------------

Mark A
February 24th 04, 01:53 AM
"Gary Banuk" > wrote in message
> I thought that Tmax was not recommended for 4x5.

TMAX RS works fine. Regular TMAX (non RS version) developer is not
recommended for TMAX films.

Christopher Perez
February 24th 04, 05:44 PM
I heard that TMax100 and 400 were developed as products using D76 as the
foundation. It's a wonderful combination. In my case, I use D76
straight and used Minor White's eye match method to determine film speed
and development times.

I hope this helps - Chris

Gary Banuk wrote:
> I am just getting back into 4x5 after many years and would like to
> know what is a good developer for this film (TMAX 100)?
>
> Any thoughts

Sandorm Mathe
May 31st 04, 06:04 PM
Christopher Perez <chrisper_r> wrote:
> I heard that TMax100 and 400 were developed as products using D76 as the
> foundation. It's a wonderful combination. In my case, I use D76
> straight and used Minor White's eye match method to determine film speed
> and development times.

> I hope this helps - Chris

"eye match method"? got a reference or a brief description?

Thanks
--
Sandor Mathe