PDA

View Full Version : Turn of last century LF photog in NY who used magnifier lens on LF camera

Murray
January 30th 04, 06:08 PM
Hello:

I have not found an answer to this in photo.net or APUG.org. I'll try
here.

Browsing sometime in the last year or two. I stumbled on a site
featuring a supposedly well-known photographer and author who used a
magnifying glass lens on a very large format camera. His subject
matter included views of NYC and the less scenic side of a boatyard,
including a badly weathered boat.

I even thought he was featured in a George Eastman House show, but
they don't recognize my description.

Can anyone help? Oh, the question..who was this photographer?

Thank you

Murray

Richard Knoppow
January 31st 04, 03:16 AM
"Murray" > wrote in message
m...
> Hello:
>
> I have not found an answer to this in photo.net or
APUG.org. I'll try
> here.
>
> Browsing sometime in the last year or two. I stumbled on a
site
> featuring a supposedly well-known photographer and author
who used a
> magnifying glass lens on a very large format camera. His
subject
> matter included views of NYC and the less scenic side of a
boatyard,
> including a badly weathered boat.
>
> I even thought he was featured in a George Eastman House
show, but
> they don't recognize my description.
>
> Can anyone help? Oh, the question..who was this
photographer?

> Thank you
>
> Murray

I think this might be Andreas Fenninger.

--
---
Richard Knoppow

Bob Monaghan
February 1st 04, 01:12 AM
yes, very likely andreas feininger, possibly in his Photographic Seeing
or Feininger on Photography books? He had an 8x10" IIRC with shots of NY
City skyline, using magnifier glass, with a cardboard stop that was quite
impressive. He also did some serious LF telephoto work with homebrew Big
Bertha tele-lenses...

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *